cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenshin1
New Contributor

Recovery failed, browser extension not installed error

Im trying to recover/reset my password, but when I use the Recover Account feature, LastPass sends me a Verification code to my phone, and when i enter it and hit recover account, i get an error: Recovery failed, last pass browser extension hasnt been installed. I have the extension in both my Brave and Firefox browsers, i then added LastPass to the Edge browser, and tried recovery with Edge.. get the same error response... Recovery failed, last pass browser extension hasnt been installed. How else can I recover my account since LastPass cant detect that the extension is installed in any browser ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Recovery failed, browser extension not installed

Hi @Kenshin1 

The message you are seeing is because your browser does not have a Recovery One-time Password stored in it. These recovery OTPs are created when you sign into your account through the browser extension and are stored in the browser. If you clear the browser history/cache they are deleted until you sign in again.  

There are other recovery options that you can use if you have set them up already, here is a list of all the recovery options you can enable.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Recovery failed, browser extension not installed

Hi @Kenshin1 

The message you are seeing is because your browser does not have a Recovery One-time Password stored in it. These recovery OTPs are created when you sign into your account through the browser extension and are stored in the browser. If you clear the browser history/cache they are deleted until you sign in again.  

There are other recovery options that you can use if you have set them up already, here is a list of all the recovery options you can enable.

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
Petrovita
New Contributor

Failing to recover my password

Hello,

I forgot my master password. I didn't set up any hints or SMS recovery options. I get a recovery link email from Lastpass, but not the one with a one-time password. I checked all different email folders and even tried to search for that email and nothing came up. When I press "get one-time password", I get the following error message:

"Your current browser didn't save account recovery data on this computer. Please try account recovery again in each browser and every computer with which you have used Lastpass. To protect your security and privacy, we never know your actual Lastpass master password. If account recovery fails and you still can't remember your password, you'll have to delete your existing account and create a new one"

Does that mean that I won't be able to get my account back?

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Failing to recover my password

Hi @Petrovita, welcome to the community.

That message means that there was no one-time recovery password stored in the web browser you used. I have reviewed your account and there are no recovery one-time passwords generated for it, so the only way to access the vault is for you to remember you Master Password correctly. 

The master password is 12 or more characters long and has at least one upper and lower case letter, number and symbol. It is also case sensitive so you may want to type it out in a text editor to check exactly how it is being entered.

bmfrisbie
New Contributor

Cannot recover master password

Hello
my chrome extension went unresponsive as of recently. Chrome is the only browser I use. I have been trying to log in via the lastpass website but cannot do so. I tried to recover my master password, and change it, but I cannot do so because it's claiming there is no extension installed in my browser. What can I do to recover my password? I do not have SMS recovery.

rbrajao
New Contributor

Recover master password fail

I try to recovery my lastpass master password but dont work any way... need help!

I try:

- One-time-password;

- iphone faceID (is configurated but not work more) 

The error when I try to recovery:

rbrajao_1-1634574978804.png

Need hellllpppppppppp

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Recover master password fail

Hi @rbrajao,

If you see an error message that says the browser extension hasn't been installed when trying to recover this means that recovery will not be possible in that browser (please see the replies to other users above for more information on why), please follow the steps here for next steps and other options: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-see-a-message-that-lastpass-account-recovery-h...

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Cannot recover master password

Hi @bmfrisbie,

I see that your master password was last changed in July 2021, if you do not remember your master password and are trying to recover your account but seeing an error message that says the browser extension hasn't been installed this means that recovery will not be possible in that browser, please follow the steps here for next steps and other options: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-see-a-message-that-lastpass-account-recovery-h... 

rbrajao
New Contributor

None of the proposed solutions worked and I use the browser daily, even on the cell phone that the recovery with the use of FaceId does not work either.

Apparently I lost all my passwords and reports history that I have saved, bad a service where the recovery doesn't work... or leaves the user completely at hand.

I don't know what to do... and I don't see how to solve it... I've already asked them to reset and send my email the new password... because the email is mine... but anyway...

Without the solution, I just need to look for another service that can serve me better.

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @rbrajao,

Please be aware that it is not possible for LastPass Customer Care to reset or change a user's Master Password or assist a user with changing/resetting their master password.

If you still cannot recover your Master Password using any of the options above unfortunately, the very last and only option available is to Reset Your Account and start over with collecting data (e.g., sites, secure notes, form fill items, creating identities, etc.). This will permanently delete all of your stored encrypted data within your LastPass account, but your account status and some settings will remain untouched: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/reset-your-lastpass-account-lp010066