cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick-TR
New Contributor

Logmein Antivirus firewall blocking network printing

Has anyone else run into this and is there a way to resolve?

We use IP based printing and after installing Logmein Antivirus (with firewall enabled in the policy), we've experienced issues with printing. Jobs get stuck in the spooler and sometimes the printer shows offline in Windows devices. We've worked around this for now by turning Logmein firewall off and enabling Windows firewall. There are not a ton of options in the policy creator. It would be nice to be able to add firewall exceptions if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TwilightZone
Active Contributor

Re: Logmein Antivirus firewall blocking network printing

I had a problem with network printers also. It was only some of the locations we manage, not all.

To get ours to work, I tried some things: editing group policy AD (for domain computers) and local GP for non-domain. I added firewall rules into there for the IP ranges needed and ports etc.

I also realised the machines failing were on network connections set as "Public". I used a powershell script and the LMI One2Many feature to change all the network connections to "Private". This was only on the machines not on the AD domain. Luckily in our case, we name all the network adapters on machines the same "Broadband" because we have 2 network cards in use and need to differenciate.

Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Broadband -NetworkCategory Private
Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias OtherNetwork -NetworkCategory Private

After making these changes, it's all fine.

Not sure if the Windows Firewall Group Policy rules are having any effect though as LMI seems to manage to firewall. I could easily test by blocking something on GP and see if it takes effect.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
PK-Hybridge

We are experiencing the same issue and have not been able to find a solution so far other than turning off firewall.

alobdell
Active Contributor

I have had the same issue!!! Come on LogMeIn can we get some help with this feature.

Adam

jimboelter
Active Contributor

I am having the same problem, help!

J_Sha_IT

Same issue.

Disable firewall, printer works. Enabled it does not.

I can see a solution for BEST but not for LogMeIn version. 

Oscarkim
New Contributor

Experiencing the same issue.  Halting rollout of LMI AV in our organization until this is resolved.

jimboelter
Active Contributor

Come on LogMeIn support, help us customers out!!!!
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am sorry this is affecting your regular work flows, and the only workaround for now is to disable the LogMeIn Firewall there.  Network printers (connects back on a different port) are not compatible with LMI AV Firewall and you should switch using the Windows Firewall if network printing functionality is needed.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
jayce007
New Contributor

That's not an acceptable answer. Disabling the software is the only solutions? Is LogMeIn looking into this?
TwilightZone
Active Contributor

I had a problem with network printers also. It was only some of the locations we manage, not all.

To get ours to work, I tried some things: editing group policy AD (for domain computers) and local GP for non-domain. I added firewall rules into there for the IP ranges needed and ports etc.

I also realised the machines failing were on network connections set as "Public". I used a powershell script and the LMI One2Many feature to change all the network connections to "Private". This was only on the machines not on the AD domain. Luckily in our case, we name all the network adapters on machines the same "Broadband" because we have 2 network cards in use and need to differenciate.

Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Broadband -NetworkCategory Private
Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias OtherNetwork -NetworkCategory Private

After making these changes, it's all fine.

Not sure if the Windows Firewall Group Policy rules are having any effect though as LMI seems to manage to firewall. I could easily test by blocking something on GP and see if it takes effect.