Forum Discussion

Di4Resume
New Contributor
7 years ago

Virtual Background for Webcams

I am a Mac user & was wondering if "Go-To-Meeting" have an option for adding a different background during Webinars?  ZOOM offers a free Virtual Background feature that allows you to display an image as your background during a Zoom Meeting. You can either upload your own images or use their selection as your virtual background.

I recently signed up for "Go-To-Meeting" but can't locate a similar feature anywhere. I would LOVE to have a more professional background for my upcoming webinars.  

Any suggestions?

• We listened to you and Virtual Backgrounds are now available in GoTo Meeting through the GoTo App with default and custom backgrounds!

• Along with the Default backgrounds provided by GoTo, Users can add up to 10 custom backgrounds of their choice.
    • Custom background in GoTo helps show off your own personal style and make meetings more fun and inclusive! It provides a great way to minimize those distractions and bring in new ways to meet face to face.
    • We recommend uploading images with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and a resolution of at least 1280x720 pixels (720p) if possible. The higher the resolution, the better your images will appear.
    • You can point to a custom background stored in your local machine from Hallway as well as from In-Session – Camera Setting tab by click on “+” symbol

Check out this article for more information.

• Agree with this feature being a must.

As companies have moved to remote work at home, this would be a tremendous bonus.

When will this feature be available? 

Marie3

I completely agree! This is a big downside of this platform. Most other platforms our clients use have some sort of way to manipulate the background. Its very distracting working from home when we can see other people in the household walking by. Will this capability be available sooner than later?

AshC
        Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi all,

While we are still considering development of this feature, some users have had success using SnapCam app to integrate with their web camera during GoTo broadcasts.

• Many of my buddies and I agree.  GTM is not being competitive and not listening.  Even their name is BORING!  Everyone who wants another meeting please raise your hand!  Really?  I dropped Zoom like a bad habit and will never use their service again.  WebEx has a user interface from hell and GTM has an opportunity to move forward in this stay-at-home environment.  Blurred and Virtual Background, Photos (without LABS) would be a start.  I doubt that they really care about the user community as this is how most companies avoid dealing directly with their paying customers.

oriator
      Hello, do you plan to offer Virual Backgrounds such as those on ZOOM? Thank you.

KateG
        GoTo Moderator

Hi oriator welcome to the Community. Default and custom made backgrounds are currently available for GoTo meeting. Check out this article on how to use virtual backgrounds.

suzyytom
      New Contributor
      I am using MacBook, and I would like to use my webcam during the meeting session, how can I do it, but blurrying the background or using virtual background software, or any other way.

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

Hi suzyytom, welcome to the community.

When you first start or join a GoToMeeting in the GoTo App you can preview your webcam and audio settings, and select a virtual background or blurred background on the preview screen. Once you are in the meeting you can open you camera settings to change the background settings if needed.

smitschke
    Active Contributor

Agree, we are paying premium for GotoMeeting over other services, including Team Meetings.  Those already support the background bluring and now they are even announcing AI to reduce external noises.  

And, can we get mute syncing?    How hard can that be?  Webex, Zoom, Teams, etc. all support this. 

The new ui is nice, but that's not innovation.  

• Hello, do you plan to offer Virual Backgrounds such as those on ZOOM? Thank you.

hortonpz
    Active Contributor

I like the virtual background in Zoom and was happy top see LogMeIn add that capability.  However, I found that the solution, ChromaCam, was not really usable.  I use a laptop with 16GB RAM, Intel i7 processor and a 1TB Solid State drive. If I was sharing my screen, I found I was getting warning messages that the system was overloaded.  As soon as I turned off the ChromaCam, my presentations were fine.  I subsequently removed ChromaCam from my system. I hope LogMeIn can find a less intensive solution.

AshC
      Retired GoTo Contributor

hortonpz  Thanks for your feedback.  We may update this functionality in the future, and will let the Community know of any new developments.

Cavehomme
        Active Contributor

We've been waiting a long time for this native functionality to be provided. I realise that such development costs money wich Logmein may not wish to spend, but I can say with 100% certainty that you've lost some significant business as a consequence of not providing this functionality. Your choice.

Personally, I wanted to stay with GTM but ended up taking a Zoom Pro account specifically because I require a virtual background for my circumstances / requirements.

AshC
    Retired GoTo Contributor

Good idea !

I have a Logitech webcam for example (which offers it's own desktop software for Windows), that allows for custom avatars and some background effects that can be shown in GoToMeeting broadcasts.

It is possible that your own webcam manufacturer offers software that allows you to customize the video feed. 

Di4Resume
      New Contributor

Thanks, but I'm a Mac user looking for solutions... this is an already-established feature with competitors.

Being new to all this, I can't even locate where I can make a request to "Go-To-Meeting" that they consider offering this service to consumers. I have called in for Live Support but those representatives don't seem interested in my suggestion or providing me with any options to make a request. 

This is why I'm reaching out to the community for suggestions/assistance.  Thanks!

Richard15
        Great Idea, I too am looking for such a feature.. Its a shame they are not listening and being competitive.
  • Hi, 

I am using MacBook, and I would like to use my webcam during the meeting session, how can I do it, but blurrying the background or using virtual background software, or any other way. 

Thanks.

eei

Hi, I'm wondering what GoToMeeting users have found to be the best Virtual Background solutions for their meetings.  Working from home with a less than ideal background makes GoToMeeting difficult to use when video is required.  I've looked into ManyCam, which is webcam software that replicates an actual webcam, but allows you to replace the background via the software.  That option seems like one of the best because it blurs the background or provides a virtual background without the need for a green screen.  I installed it to try it out, but quickly determined that the virtual background features are a premium-only feature and you have to dish out $29 minimum to determine if it will even work (that's assuming that the $29 actually has that feature, which is unclear.)  The other option I've seen on GoToMeeting's support site is SparkoCam.  But that software requires a green screen. While I do have a green screen, it's a pain to set it up and take it down for each meeting.  Zoom makes this all easy, but not all my employers/clients use the same meeting software so there's no consistency of the best options.  What have GoToMeeting user's found as the best options for no green screen virtual backgrounds for meetings?  How much do those options cost to get that functionality?  Is GoToMeeting itself working on (or purchasing) a solution for all of its users?  Thanks!