Forum Discussion

braysher
Active Contributor
9 days ago

Will switching from MNO to MVNO disrupt my Grasshopper line?

I'm considering a switch from Verizon to Visible, which operates on the Verizon network, and want to confirm that it wouldn't disrupt my Grasshopper line. I'd be keeping all of my same phone numbers so I assume it'll be fine but worry because the Grasshopper line is for my business. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

KateG
    6 days ago

Hi braysher

Switching from MNO to MVNO still requires porting even if the number uses the same carrier behind the scene. You should check with Verizon for the advice about this. 

But as long as the number continues to work there shouldn't be any impact to Grasshopper calls.

In the worst case if your number porting gets stuck, log into your Grasshopper account and temporarily change the call forwarding to some other number until the issue is resolved.

KateG
    GoTo Moderator

Hi braysher Welcome to the Community. 

Are you porting your Grasshopper number out or just changing the cell number used by Grasshopper for call forwarding? 

If your porting the Grasshopper number, Grasshopper won’t have control over it—it's up to the carrier handling the port. If you are just updating the cell number, the Grasshopper number will remain active. However, if the new cell number isn’t working after the port, you can change the call forwarding number.

braysher
      Active Contributor

Hi Kate,

I'm not changing my phone numbers at all, just my cell carrier. I assume that means everything should work fine, correct?

KateG
        GoTo Moderator

Hi braysher

Switching from MNO to MVNO still requires porting even if the number uses the same carrier behind the scene. You should check with Verizon for the advice about this. 

But as long as the number continues to work there shouldn't be any impact to Grasshopper calls.

In the worst case if your number porting gets stuck, log into your Grasshopper account and temporarily change the call forwarding to some other number until the issue is resolved.