cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

Earthlink used gotoassist remote screen access

Several of us were on Earthlink email support, and the tech support gal from India fixed our email mostly. But she recommended us to start a screen sharing thing with this gotoassist app. So we did, and it did NOT work with any version of Safari on our Macs.  So she was able to fix most of the email issues, not all however, but most of it. An Earthlink glitch we thought.

So now we totally cannot get this app off our computer!  No matter what we do, put the app in the trash, delete everything got to do with the download, on and on, and it still pops up on our screen and will not go away.  So we learned that this is an issue with this app on many Mac OS versions.   We tried shutdown, restarts, dump the trash, and the poor tech support gal for Earthlink was just as confused as we were. She said at the end of a 2 hour conversation that she was totally unable to help us, and gave us the Apple-care tech support phone. And the Apple rep I got, said he was unable to help. 
So we figured for sure its a virus or malware. But we scanned the machine and its squeaky clean.  
So now what?  I sure hope you have a solution, as Earthlink support actually wants to hear from us and to find out what we did, or if we were able to get rid of this invasive thing.

Thank you!!!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @Tryingtofixthis,

Normally, dragging the app to the Trash and emptying it is all that is needed. Please go to this page and click on Contact Support to access our toll-free support numbers. One of our representatives will assist you.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

Thank you!  I will do this later on when I have enough time to really figure this out. As the Earthlink and the Apple people are very curious to what is happening. And if it can be solved. They have my OS and all the info they will need ready. And it will be actually fun to see if we can fix this and let them know.

Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

I have tried everything possible and this still is a really annoying issue.  I see you have a toll free support number, but I cannot find it anywhere on your site. Im logged in, as I wouldn't be able to communicate with you here. So PLEASE let me have that number. The Earthlink and Apple reps would just LOVE to see how this issue can be solved.  

Thank you.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Contact Support is displayed on the right side of our support pages, clicking on that will give you access to our support numbers.

To manually remove the files:

1. Click Finder in the Dock
  2. Click Go
  3. Click Go to Folder...
  4. Check both  ~/Library (User Library) and /Library (Global Library) for GoToAssist files in the following folders: Application Support, Preferences, Launch Agents, Launch Daemons, StartupItems
  5. Move any GoToAssist files you find to the Trash, empty it and then reboot your Mac

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

When I goto the right side and click on support, all I get is a screen with the option in a black button to go to Explore Community or Visit Embark.. PLEASE just put the number here, this is getting so frustrating. Thank you
Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

Please send me the toll free number again, it got deleted from my Mac by mistake. I will have to put it in again.

Thank you.

Jane

Tryingtofixthis
New Contributor

Not yet. This is Wednesday,,,,Oct 26
Had to force-shut the Mac down as it was acting strange. And will start it up again later today, and call your tech support #.
We have all our doctor and very important info on that computer. So this is critical to get things back to normal.
I am using an old computer for communications for the time being.

Jane