cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frank vandeberg

GotoAsisst customer on XenApp

Our customer uses a "CITRIX" XenApp farm, and the users are using thin clients connecting to a published desktop. Several vendors are using "CITRIX" GotoAssist and they want to assist the customer's end users within their XenApp session. 
How can we install / configure / launch GotoAssist Customer within the XenApp Session without:- update prompt, updating the installed gotoassist version making our shortcuts no longer work. - launching the session seems to start the service, and this service continues to run. If another user logs on to the same xenapp server afterwards, the Tray icon is visible. 
Is there a way to hide the tray icon ? 
- Can we as administrator download the latest GotoAssist version and deploy it via enterprise software distribution mechanisms instead of "joining a meeting" to install the software ?

We as a citrix partner have to explain the customer that Product A and Product B are both from the same company for a few years but are not compatible at all. An enterprise configuration guide would help to start with. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CTXSupport
Active Contributor

Re: GotoAsisst customer on XenApp

GoToAssist is a console access tool, not an Terminal Server access tool.  This behavior is by nature of terminal services.  I manage many Citrix farms and I'd never try to use GoToAssist to manage individual sessions on one of those servers, because remote sessions are NOT console sessions.  An option would be to install GoToAssist on a jump box in their environment and install the necessary tools to manage XenApp sessions from there, or use that jump box to initiate a connection to the XenApp farm.  If they are using Provisioning Services to deploy XenApp, then that would further illustrate my point.  I'm not really sure why I'd have to explain this to a Citrix Partner.  GoToAssist has a purpose, as does XenApp.  Just because they are owned by the same company doesn't mean it should work with everything else they own or make, and there are countless other examples on the market.  For the record, you'll have the same issue with every competing product as well for the same reasons.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CTXSupport
Active Contributor

GoToAssist is a console access tool, not an Terminal Server access tool.  This behavior is by nature of terminal services.  I manage many Citrix farms and I'd never try to use GoToAssist to manage individual sessions on one of those servers, because remote sessions are NOT console sessions.  An option would be to install GoToAssist on a jump box in their environment and install the necessary tools to manage XenApp sessions from there, or use that jump box to initiate a connection to the XenApp farm.  If they are using Provisioning Services to deploy XenApp, then that would further illustrate my point.  I'm not really sure why I'd have to explain this to a Citrix Partner.  GoToAssist has a purpose, as does XenApp.  Just because they are owned by the same company doesn't mean it should work with everything else they own or make, and there are countless other examples on the market.  For the record, you'll have the same issue with every competing product as well for the same reasons.
Jochem van Dijk

Hi there , we have the same problem , xenapp 6.5 and not able to use gotoassist. we use a hosted application(Afas) , and sometimes the helpdesk from that application will help our users with the application , and will use gotoassist, The only thing thats working well in a xenapp environment for individual sessions is teamviewer. I agree with Frank that it is not to explain to the customers and users.