cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
484Avenu_
New Contributor

Attendees ignoring ALLOW MICROPHONE

As an organizer I have had too many bad no audio experiences with GTM.  The attendee(s) are in the meeting but did not click ALLOW MICROPHONE . No audio but has allowed camera. I am bewildered on why an attendee would not click ALLOW MICROPHONE but clicks ALLOW CAMERA. I just was told I can post a chat for them to click on small icon next to the browser bar which has a dropdown to allow microphone without having close meeting and restart.  I have complained about this numerous times and no support agent could help me except for the support agent I spoke to today who had deep knowledge and smarts to help me guide my attendees who did not follow the permission protocols and are left without audio. 

Does any organizers out there  had this experience? Please share 

4 REPLIES 4
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Attendees ignoring ALLOW MICROPHONE

Hi @484Avenu_, welcome to the community.

Generally, Windows PC and Mac attendees will be prompted to join the meeting through our desktop software. First time attendees on Macs will be prompted by their security to allow our software to access the camera and microphone, but this has been a Mac requirement for a few years now so Mac users are accustomed to this.

Your description sounds more like attendees who are joining in their web browser, rather than install our software. Why they are not allowing access to their microphone I can only offer an educated guess. I suspect that they think giving access will automatically unmute them so they can be heard, which is not the case (they still have to unmute themselves before they can be heard).

We show a number of prompts around this, and if they close them by mistake refreshing their browser (F5) will result in the prompts being displayed again. That is probably the easiest way to deal with an attendee who is having this issue. 

If for some reason they actually clicked on Block Access, refreshing the page will not work, but they can access the settings with a couple of clicks. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
484Avenu_
New Contributor

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for your excellent and prompt advice. 

Is the is the F5 option only for  attendees as  I tested it and nothing happens when I am in a test session. Does it only work for attendees? As organizer I also don't see the browser bar or icon.

If they bypass ALLOW MICROPHONE I was told to advise them to click on the small icon next to the browser bar and select ALLOW MICROPHONE  or simply close meeting and restart it 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

F5 refreshes/reloads your current web page, so for an attendee who has joined in their browser it will result in the prompts being displayed again unless they clicked on Block. I think this is the easiest solution for most, and once they have clicked on Allow it will be remembered for future meetings.

If for some reason they do not see the prompts after refreshing the page, they can click on the icon displayed next to the URL in their address bar and then Site settings and they will see all the options as shown in the last screenshot in my previous reply.

In the latest version of Chrome the icon looks like this instead of a padlock:   

This topic was discussed in a meeting this morning, so the will be reviewing the UI and looking at how we can make it clearer to new attendees that allowing access to the microphone and camera does not mean they will be heard and seen instantly.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
484Avenu_
New Contributor

CHANGE IT TO "ALLOW AUDIO" FROM "ALLOW MICROPHONE" AND MUCH LARGER LIKE TEAMS HAS IT. SOME ATTENDEES THINK IT'S UNNECESSARY TO CLICK IT.  MAKE IT WHERE IT'S NOT AN OPTION BUT MANDATORY TO CLICK IT TO JOIN THE MEETING.