cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joschaf
New Contributor

CPU over 100% every time (macOS)

Hi, every time I'm using GoToMeeting the fans on my Macbook Air are working overtime and get really loud, the CPU usage is shown as >130% during the entire call, every call, from beginning to end. This surely can't be intended. What can I do?

I'm using the GoToMeeting app Version 10.15.0 Build 19228 on a Macbook Air (2019) running macOS BigSur Version 11.2.3, I closed all other applications so nothing else is running and requiring much CPU, no Chromacam or other stuff. Power is plugged in, I'm not talking about a battery issue. I've uninstalled and re-installed the GoToMeeting app twice as someone recommended this, but no change.

Anyone any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: CPU over 100% every time (macOS)

Hi @joschaf 

Are you using any background apps such as Chromacam while GoToMeeting is broadcasting?

Are you using VoIP audio, as well as sharing your screen and webcam simultaneously?

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
joschaf
New Contributor

Hi @AshC, thanks for trying to help me!

No, I'm not using Chromacam or anything like it. I even closed all other applications so that the GTM app is the only app running. 

The high CPU and the loud fans occur even without screen sharing, just webcam. And it doesn't change when I'm with 20 participants or with only 4.

VoIP audio? You mean participating with a phone call? No, I input the 9 digit meeting ID and just have a Bluetooth headset connected to my Macbook. (Please let my know if I misunderstood the question.)

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@joschaf  We are currently investigating reports of this nature on Macintosh. 

I suggest using telephone audio to minimize the demands of the local audio driver there.

Can you give us the specs of your Macbook?

joschaf
New Contributor

Sure, it's a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019) running macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3 (same "symptoms" on macOS 11.3), Processor: 1,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB.

On a different MacBook Air (M1, 2020) it's not as bad, CPU is mostly constant between 80% and 90% when GoToMeeting is running, and that's fine by me.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@joschaf  Thank you for this detailed information.  We are aware of some of this behavior and plan to improve the efficiency on Macs soon. 

PaulTaylor
Active Contributor

1. You can find More info under About this Mac under the apple in the upper left corner.
  2.   You will see a system report.
  3. Keep a note of what it says after the Model Identifier.
  4. You can locate the name in step 3 in your master drive - System -Library Extensions -Contents Plugins -ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.next and move it into a folder you can find again if needed.
  5.  Restart your computer and you're done.

Thank You

jespyxis

Hi

I am having the same problem. My computer is a mid 2012 4 core i7  MacbookPro with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. I was teaching and it was terrible. When using Gotomeeting, it eated all my CPU and everything became very slow. It was a pain doing demos and having to apologize all the time because the performance wad quite bad. It only happens with this application. I’ve been using Zoom and Webex without any problem. Also, I lost audio one ir two times during the meetings.

You definetely should investigate this because it seemsto be an application problem.