cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathan14
New Contributor

Can't see other people's cameras

I'm using the GoToMeeting client verison 10.15.0 build 19228 on macOS Catalina.

I see black squares instead of people's video images.

To be clear: this isn't people whose cameras are off. This is people whose cameras are on, but all I see is black. I've asked other meeting attendees and they've confirmed that they can see people's video.

I tried leaving the meeting and rejoining and it didn't help.

I found https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/why-cant-i-see-other-peoples-cameras, but nothing described there is accurate.

Here's what I see:

GTM.png

How do I fix this?

Note: I don't attend GTM meetings very often, and I don't have my own GTM account, so if anyone suggests fixes here, I'm not sure how to test them. 😕

7 REPLIES 7
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Can't see other people's cameras

@Jonathan14  Do you think there may be a local security block on port 1853?  We utilize this port to send and receive webcam feeds to GoToMeeting. 

Has your own webcam ever been able to transmit successfully there? If not, then you may need to check the local permissions granted GoToMeeting in the Mac Privacy section: https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/why-cant-i-access-the-microphone-share-my-camera-or-share-my-s...

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Jonathan14
New Contributor

I have not done anything explicitly to block port 1853, but of course I have both the macOS firewall and a firewall on my home network (the latter provided by my TP-Link AX6000 router).

I have just added GoToMeeting to the exceptions list for the macOS firewall. That did not help.

I have checked the primary settings and GoToMeeting is granted permission to use the camera.

When I launch a meeting (e.g., the text meeting at https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/join-a-test-session-g2m050001) the preview screen shows a solid black camera image even before I connect to the test meeting, at which point surely port 1853 is not relevant. If I turn off the camera on the preview screen the rectangle goes from black to grey, so GoToMeeting definitely thinks it's showing me something different when the camera is on than when it's off.

I am able to use the camera just fine -- and see other people's cameras -- in Google Meet and Zoom.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

This definitely sounds like a local permissions issue, not a hardware one.  I was throwing out the port reference in case your security specifically blocked some of those common ones. 

On the Mac have you tried a full re-install of the GoTo software to see if it triggers any security requests again?

Jonathan14
New Contributor

I have tried reinstalling. It didn't help. I don't know whether what I did was a "full re-install." Perhaps you could explain what exactly you mean by that?

Jonathan14
New Contributor

I don't really agree that this sounds like a local permissions issue. A permissions issue would typically make my camera not work. It would not typically make everyone else's cameras display as black squares as well, which is the behavior I'm seeing.
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@Jonathan14  If you also cannot see other cameras, then you may have a local block on the webcam port.  In your case I would suggest calling into Customer Support so they can troubleshoot directly:  https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/how-do-i-contact-gotomeeting-customer-support-g2m090151

Jonathan14
New Contributor

Hey Ash, I know you mean well, but no, I am not going to waste my time calling into customer support and dealing with some low-level support person in a foreign country who makes me go through a script of irrelevant troubleshooting steps only to inform me at the end that they don't know what's wrong and can't fix it.

There is nothing particularly non-standard about my setup. If GTM doesn't work properly on my computer, when Zoom, Teams, Google Meet, WebEx, and every other videoconferencing system I've used on it all work fine, then the problem is with GTM, not with my computer.

I don't care enough about GTM not working to waste any more of my time on this.