cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to switch between headphone out / bluetooth / speaker on IOS app

When using the GTM app on a cell phone, attendees frequently need to switch between which audio source the phone is using. For example switching from a bluetooth connection in the car to the headset when you reach your destination (or vice versa). You do this on a phone call using the upper right option on the iPhone, but can't figure out how (or if it is possible) in the GTM app. Would also be useful to know how to do this on Android (as I'm sure once I tell them it's possible on IOS someone will ask for it on android!)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: How to switch between headphone out / bluetooth / speaker on IOS app

Hi Mike,

While it's not possible to specify a specific device for audio output, you can switch between the handset and speakerphone from the gear menu in either iOS or android apps. Audio should automatically output to headphones or external speakers if they are already plugged-in/connected to the phone (or tablet); if this doesn't happen, try switching from the handset to speakerphone, as settings may differ depending on the device.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Mike,

While it's not possible to specify a specific device for audio output, you can switch between the handset and speakerphone from the gear menu in either iOS or android apps. Audio should automatically output to headphones or external speakers if they are already plugged-in/connected to the phone (or tablet); if this doesn't happen, try switching from the handset to speakerphone, as settings may differ depending on the device.

View solution in original post

New Contributor

Ok, so sounds like I can't control the output, it's up to whatever output the device selects. For example, if I have a bluetooth device connected I can't get it to output to the headphones or speaker. This can be a problem for example if you have a bluetooth device at home and are on a GTM leaving the house, you can't tell it to switch to the headset or speaker. I know they can workaround it (i.e. turn off bluetooth and force it to pick another output.) It just makes it more difficult and they are less likely to use the app in that case and will just dial in, which is not an optimal solution.
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.  The use case sounds reasonable enough to bring it up with the product team.

New Contributor

Hi all, 

Yes, this seems like this is a new problem with this new version of the iOS app.  In previous versions, you were able to select the audio output from your phone (headset or speakerphone).  Why did they take this functionality away?
New Contributor

I think the workaround that currently works is:
  1. Maybe you already have your earbuds in and in a call
  2. You get in the car, Bluetooth hijacks call
  3. Unplug headphones/earbuds, and plug them back in: GTM iOS App should switch back to headphones
Does that sound right?  I've not verified.. I came here looking for answers, and this is how i interpreted Michael's initial reply above.

-Bronius
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Bronius,
Those are all possible conflicts when using a mobile device with the GoToMeeting App. 
What users have reported here is that their iPhones would not allow for the changing of input devices on demand.  Unfortunately this seems to be a limitation of the iOS system it's self.

New Contributor

Thanks for your quick response, Ash.  I couldn't update my answer above to provide the tested and correct answer, so I just wanted to confirm that I just proved my conjecture above correct: To switch between Bluetooth audio and Headphones/Earbuds on iPhone (pre-iPhone7), simply unplug the headphone plug and plug it back in; GTM iOS app will switch back to headphones again.  To undo it (and switch to BT again), just unplug headphones while BT is still in range.

I don't know what the experience is with the iPhone 7 nerfed of its headphone jack.
New Contributor

Hi Mike, has this been fixed or am I just clueless... I still cannot switch between handset & speakerphone on my IOS device.
LogMeIn Contributor

Some users have found that iOS responds if you re-plug the audio device.