cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Icon and Start menu items missing on Windows 10 and GTM 8.24.0.xxxx

We're running multiple Windows 10 machines, and are paying customers of GTM.

2018-04-09_23-15-05.jpg
Sometimes, without any logical explanation or reason, the GTM app that is installed locally on these computers simply vanishes without any trace. I.e. - we cannot use it to schedule meetings or meet now, and if there is a meeting that was previously scheduled - you cannot launch the application to start or join.

The only thing that works is to click on the HTTP link of the meeting, then it opens a web browser, downloads the launcher (which is obviously already installed), and goes through the process.

As you can see, the app IS INSTALLED on the computer:

2018-04-09_23-04-35.jpg

Yet, Start doesn't show it, and when you search for it only the GTM Launcher appears. If you run it, it will re-download the app, but that's not a proper way to use it:

2018-04-09_23-05-58.jpg

Trying to re-run the MSI prompts us to either repair or remove. Repairing helps, and restores the tray icon and the Start menu item:

2018-04-09_23-18-52.jpg

2018-04-09_23-27-47.jpg

2018-04-09_23-21-14.jpg

Obvoiusly, setting is to start when Windows starts:

2018-04-09_23-24-01.jpg

However, something causes all this to go away after a non-determined period of time. I was not able to find a cause for this.

BTW, this particular computer I was using for the screenshots is NOT a member of any AD domain, so it's not possible that some wrongly configured GPO or other setting caused it. It does happen on many computers, either domain members or non-domain members.

As a company, we've almost given up, and are virtually ready to leave for your competitors (although I personally liked GTM more). We need to tool to be available via the Tray notification area AND/OR in the Start menu. Not being able to access the tool when we need it is counter productive.

No, using the Outlook connector doesn't help (as too it has its issues which are part of a different thread).

I hate to say it, if this isn't resolved, we will have to stop using GTM.

Can you please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Icon and Start menu items missing on Windows 10 and GTM 8.24.0.xxxx

Hi @djedziniak 

If you are having this issue please call our toll-free support so that one of our representatives can gather details and investigate: https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/contactus 

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
18 REPLIES 18
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @dpetri,

This sounds like the GoToMeeting software is being removed by something, it is certainly not a known issue at this time. I would start by reviewing the Event Viewer logs in Windows to see if there are any records: Launch the Event Viewer and open up the section Windows Logs, sub-section Application. Sort the list by the Source column, then scroll and view the informative events produced by "MsiInstaller".    

New Contributor

Hi Glenn. I think this problem is wider spread than you think. If you search these forums there's numerous instances of the same situation. 

In my situation, the icon disappears from the taskbar, but the services are still running. I followed advise in another thread to kill the process g2mlauncher.exe, which then re-launches and brings back the taskbar icon.

I'm also running Windows 10.

If you read through the original post above, he makes it quite clear that the product hasn't been uninstalled - it's simply missing from both the start menu and the taskbar. 

Active Contributor

Thanks Paul_R.
That is exactly the problem. Product is installed, it just vanishes. Not on one computer, but more.
At first we thought it was a glitch. Now we see it happen intermittently, and it caused us to allocate 30 minutes before any scheduled meeting we do, just to make sure the software is working. We are spending precious time (and nerves) on something that shouldn't even happen.
Active Contributor

I wanted to show you how it looks like on a different machine I am using:

Windows 8.1, this time domain joined.

2018-04-10_15-14-12.png

GTM is installed (although a different version):

2018-04-10_15-12-16.png

No tray icon. It used to be there, but now it's gone.

2018-04-10_15-10-13.png

Searching Start finds it:

2018-04-10_15-11-40.png

But launching it does not bring the tray icon, EVEN when the software is running. 

2018-04-10_15-11-14.png

This is a nagging issue, and although we CAN always use the main UI to meet now or schedule a meeting, it's not as easy and productive as right-clicking the tray icon. As I mentioned in my original post - this is happenning on many computers in the organization. Some are domain joined, others aren't. Some running Windows 8.1, others Windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated.

LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

We have had cases where Malware has interferred with our software and cuased both error messages and other strange behavior. Typically running Malwarebytes on the PC will locate and remove the problem, they have a free trial version available here https://www.malwarebytes.com/free/  Please try running that on your PC, if it does not find anything we will need to look into the log files on your PC to see if there are any clues.

Active Contributor

Hi GlennD

Thanks for that. For the purpose of helping the troubleshooting of this issue I downloaded and installed the Malwarebytes app, although we have a working and functioning malware protection software on all computers.

Active Contributor

@GlennD wrote:

We have had cases where Malware has interferred with our software and cuased both error messages and other strange behavior. Typically running Malwarebytes on the PC will locate and remove the problem.

Hi GlennD

As you see here, computer is clean. The only issue found was a homepage setting that is enforced by our company, but I presume that by itself is not causing this behaviour of GTM.

2018-04-11_00-47-53.jpg

I am open to new suggestions as of what to do.

Active Contributor

And... icon gone again... Need to reinstall GTM again from scratch to get it back.

Is there no way to fix this? 

Active Contributor

It's so bad that no one from support picked up this case.

Unfortunately, you lost us as a customer. 150 licenses will now go to Zoom.