cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Increase Video Quality with an HD Camera and BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder

We want to raise the quality level of our video by using a HD Camera via Blackmagic UltraStudio Recorder. Why can't GoToMeeting accept that size and frame rate?
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Increase Video Quality with an HD Camera and BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder

Hi Greg,

we are using various blackmagic products inhouse, and while the configuration is sometimes tricky, we got at least some of them working for exactly the use case you describe.
So what size and framerate are you trying to feed through the BM Ultrastudio and are you using Mac or PC, which OS version and which type of the Ultrastudio?
Maybe I can run a couple of checks and we can give you some advice on what formats are supposed to work and how to configure the Ultrastudio.

Cheers
Robert
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Increase Video Quality with an HD Camera and BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder

We are a Mac house, using a Sony HDR-PJ790V and the BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder.  I can set the HDMI out to 1080i60, 1080p60 or 720p60.  That's it.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Ok let me check what type of setting we use on our systems and talk to the video guys.

Is it that box? http://www.amazon.de/Blackmagic-Design-UltraStudio-Mini-Recorder/dp/B009D91314

But than, this one has not HDMI out, only Thunderbolt out ... can you give me the URL on the black magic website (or on Amazon) for the right device - I need to read the spec.
What i found up to now is that, but not sure its the device you have.

Thanks
Robert
Highlighted
New Contributor

And your help is very much appreciated.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, it is the same BlackMagic device.  The HDMI out os on the camera in which I am referring.  That's into the BM box then Thunderbolt into the Mac.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

ok understood, will check, may take till Monday though. And I'm in Germany, so some time shift 😉

Thanks
Robert
Highlighted
New Contributor

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Hi Greg,

I checked one of our systems running with a Sony EVI-HD7V on a blackmagic decklink grabber in a Windows PC. I know, quite different setup - however what I saw was that we use 720p*50* - so thats one difference. Unfortunately our cam does not provide 720p60 for comparison ... Will have to do a few more experiments.
What definitely would help us to see more details would be a logfile from a session where you try to access the camera in 720p (1080p is definitely not supported)

The logs can be found as follows:

Go to Users=>(select your user) => Library=> Logs=>com.citrixonline.GoToMeeting and look for the session folder you want. Your log file should be in there. (in case of doubt  zip all what you see there and let me know of the date time when you did run the test, I can find the right log file than)

Than upload these log(s) to my sharefile account - the link below will open an upload dialog in your web browser, and once uploaded, the file will appear in my inbox.

https://citrix.sharefile.com/r/r3be2f604e7e45cf9

I also did a bit of reading in the manual of the Sony HDR-PJ790V and wonder what mode you are running it in? Do you have to switch it to record in order to send the camera signal to the HDMI output or is there some kind of bybass mode to get the camera signal to the HDMI out without actually running a recording?

Cheers
Robert
Highlighted
New Contributor

Let me do that shortly.  I'll try to get a log file to you tonight or tomorrow.

The HDMI output is totally separate from record.  So I can change it on the fly and the output is always on no matter whether we are recording or not.

Again, thanks for helping out Robert.