cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Tab key not working when I have been given keyboard and mouse control

I am a MANY YEARS loyeal user and evangelist for GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar.

In my business, I work with QuickBooks and Excel users to train them how to do very complex Excel worksheets or QuickBooks transactions.

They give me keyboard and mouse control so that I can either perform work OR illustrate how THEY can do their own work.

To move from field to field, both of these programs are designed to use the TAB key.

Recently, while working with clients, after they provide keyboard and mouse control, the TAB key has NOT been working, and this has been a real PROBLEM.

So tonight I contacted tech support and was told that the inability to use the TAB key when granted keyboard and mouse control is a "new security feature" that cannot be altered or over-ridden.

This is very distressing, as the TAB key is a primary navigation tool in both QuickBooks and Excel.

For instance, in QuickBooks and Excel:

• Tab moves forward a field
  • Shift+Tab moves backward a field

Additionally, for QuickBooks data entry:

• Entry into a field, followed by TabTabTab (for however many times required) allows you to move forward through fields that do not require data entry until you arrive at the desired field.
  • Ctrl+Alt+Tab allows you to copy an entire line.

Please, please, please find a way that my client can over-ride this "security" feature so that I can continue to help them in the way that I've done for MANY YEARS using GoToMeeting.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
New Contributor

Re: Tab key not working when I have been given keyboard and mouse control

This is VERY upsetting. I also use GTM every single day to provide support; and the TAB Key is ESSENTIAL!

It makes NO sense to remove the functionality of the Tab key for security reasons - that's just crazy. I really hope they listen and understand this is a huge issue for us; otherwise it's time to look for an alternative. I've been using GTM for many years as well - I would hate to move to another service - but I will if they can't find a way to override this.
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks for your feedback @rjjjbrown  & @DianeG  .

We will bring this story to the Product Development team as a use case with tabbing functionality.

Active Contributor

To rjjjbrown - Thanks for your support re this issue!

I belong to the Woodard QuickBooks consulting group and have let them know about this "security feature."

I've had a number of responses through that group that they ALSO have a BIG problem with this.

Many are recommending a popular alternative software - which we are now investigating. And yes, I WILL change if necessary.

New Contributor

Unhappy with the new gotomeeting restrictions

Been a gotomeeting subscriber for  so long I cant remember when I signed up.  Recently gotomeeting is restricting my use of the TAB key when I access my customer's computer.   I do alot of remote work and demonstrations in QuickBooks and the tab key is a critical function to move between fields.  This is really slowing me down.  

LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Unhappy with the new gotomeeting restrictions

Hi QB,

I'm bringing this use case up with product development to see if anything can be done to change the behavior.  Thanks for bringing it up.

New Contributor

Re: Unhappy with the new gotomeeting restrictions

I work with the networking gear where I have to use the TAB key and since the removal when I remote into any of my machines I have to keep on typing all the commands and  that takes a lot of time and this will be a really a problem as it is wasting my time and I will have to think if I want to continue using GoTo meeting.

New Contributor

New version of GTM not allowing tab operations in linux terminal

After the latest upgrade, while we are in the call, we can't able to provide the tab in linux console like putty. This is hectic to type commands completely in client calls.

LogMeIn Contributor

Re: New version of GTM not allowing tab operations in linux terminal

@samrajcse @DianeG @aditya2 @QBadvisor @rjjjbrown  Apologies for the delay.  We plan to fix this issue very soon.  As soon as we have the new software version available we will update this thread specifically.

New Contributor

Re: New version of GTM not allowing tab operations in linux terminal

That's excellent news! Thank you.