cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Webcam video quality is very poor - Why?

Can anyone answer why the resolution of the webcam picture we have is reduced by GoToMeeting? We certainly aren't getting HD webcam pictures.

We bought some new webcams, capable of up to 1080p resolution. However when used with GoToMeeting, the quality is awful. Even when not screen sharing the webcam quality is poor. A test meeting with only myself on it, webcam turned on, the video quality of the webcam must be at its lowest possible setting. I'm showing my shared webcam feed expanded and its very pixelated. With only 1 attendee GTM shouldn't be reducing the video quality. If I use the windows Camera app with the webcam the video and image quality is as high as can be expected - 1080p.

The network quality is good. 100Mbs connection. Laptop is reasonably specced although 4-5 years old now.

I'll try and get some comparitive screenshots of the quality so you can see how bad it is.  Here are links to comparitive images: GTM webcam screenshot  Camera app screenshot 

Camera is a Spedal 920pro 120° Wide Angle Conference Webcam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TF5J6JZ/?coliid=I1RMUQ8DWQ1YFL&colid=2SFV27WOSAD8V&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_...

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Webcam video quality is very poor - Why?

I've rephrased my original post as a question in hope of a response.
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Rich,

Do you notice any difference in quality when you stop screen sharing and connect to telephone audio instead of VoIP?

Highlighted
Active Contributor

No the resolution of the webcam image looked like it was the same regardless of screen sharing. Also we only ever use telephone audio.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

In my experience, the webcam view in my GoToMeeting preferences and the webcam software preferences is always sharper than what is being broadcast.  Have you seen any other presenters that had 1080p clarity?

Highlighted
Active Contributor

I've seen other people on the call with clearer pictures that what i'm seeing from this webcam. Even when they are presenting. Is there a guide that explains the different webcam settings Gotomeeting provides? It's hard to tell what affect they have.

To me, it looks more like the resolution is capped. It seems to be when in 16:9 mode the chopping  gets worse too. It looks like 0.4 MP 16:9 (800x448) is the max it does in widescreen. And 0.5MP 4:3 (800x600) is the best in 4:3 mode.

What is the max resolution GTM allows? There are pages on the site about HDFaces? I assume that's a gimmick name and not actually HD. From the images I attached what would you say the quality/resolution is?

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

@richrowan  Anything over 480p is considered 'Hi-Def' video.  GoToMeeting can broadcast individual webcams up to 1080p, but it is difficult to reach that level on a consistent basis unless you have an ideal set up. 

Is this computer system hard-lined into your local area network?

Have you tried testing the same webcam from a different device or network to check for improvements?

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Yes laptop is connected with ethernet cable. I tried it on my desktop this morning, the quality was the same as on the laptop.

What constitutes ideal setup?

Highlighted
New Contributor

@AshC wrote:

@MyFedLoan  Anything over 480p is considered 'Hi-Def' video.  GoToMeeting can broadcast individual webcams up to 1080p, but it is difficult to reach that level on a consistent basis unless you have an ideal set up. 

Is this computer system hard-lined into your local area network?

Have you tried testing the same webcam from a different device or network to check for improvements?

Even when they are presenting. Is there a guide that explains the different webcam settings Gotomeeting provides? It's hard to tell what affect they have.

To me, it looks more like the resolution is capped. It seems to be when in 16:9 mode the chopping  gets worse too. It looks like 0.4 MP 16:9 (800x448) is the max it does in widescreen. And 0.5MP 4:3 (800x600) is the best in 4:3 mode.