cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronamazon01
New Contributor

Dual monitor does not work. Using a macbook to connect to a PC host computer.

I'm trying to use two monitors  (my macbook and an external monitor) but it would only mirrors my macbook on the external monitor. The host computer is a PC. Is it possible to extend the monitor instead of mirroring the macbook? 

8 REPLIES 8
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Dual monitor does not work. Using a macbook to connect to a PC host computer.

Hi @ronamazon01 welcome to the GoTo Community, 

If you would like to extend the screen across two monitors you can do this in the Mac settings. Here's an article that shows you how. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
ronamazon01
New Contributor

Re: Dual monitor does not work. Using a macbook to connect to a PC host computer.

Hi Kate,

I've tried that via my macbook setting. However, the problem seems to be at GOTOMYPC application, which it does not allow me to extend it to external monitor.  I can only mirror what's on my macbook. 

Thanks!

ronamazon01
New Contributor

In addition, its able to detect the external monitor but through gotomypc, it can only choose monitor 1 or 2 as display. It cannot show both monitors at the same time. So I believe its a problem with gotomypc.
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @ronamazon01

My colleague tested your set-up both ways and was able to get it to expand by adjusting the zoom level used by the viewer, having it in windowed mode, and stretching across the screens.

If it's mirroring the main Mac screen, then it's coming from the Mac and you would need to make 
sure it's set to extend on his desktop settings.

Depending on the differences in screen resolutions between the Mac+external screen vs PC+2nd monitor, you will  have to adjust viewer zoom settings and stretch the GoToMyPC viewer window to see both at the same time.

Note, if you are connecting to two screens, once you connect to the PC host over GoToMyPC it will default to showing the main screen of the PC but it will scroll to the 2nd screen if you move your mouse to the edge of the window, like in this video. 

ronamazon01
New Contributor

Hi Kate,

Per your comment below:

Note, if you are connecting to two screens, once you connect to the PC host over GoToMyPC it will default to showing the main screen of the PC but it will scroll to the 2nd screen if you move your mouse to the edge of the window, like in this video.

That is true! I can scroll to the next screen. However I would like two screens to show on my mac and extended monitor at the same time without having to scroll. Is that possible? Scroll just take the swiftness out of having two screens. I would like to able to see them at the same time. Thank you for all of your assistance so far!!

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @ronamazon01 So the short answer on how to do this with GoToMyPC on your Mac, is to pull up View, then Windowed Mode, then Actual Size, and click and drag GoToMyPC across the two screens. Have you tried that? 

ronamazon01
New Contributor

Hi Kate,

Yes. That is the closest way to see both screen through the window of GotomyPC. But when I dragged the window between my two monitors (i.e. mac book and extended monitor) it does not show the other half of the GotomyPC window. It would only display on one screen. No matter how much I stretch it, it would only display 1/2 of the gotomyPC window.
KateG
GoTo Moderator

@ronamazon01 is it possible to share a screenshot of what you see?