cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J.1
Contributor

Gotomypc update leaves us unable to connect

Since sometime late last week, multiple users at my organization have reported their machines either showing up as offline in the Gotomypc connect window or as visibly online but refusing to allow an actual connection. The problem is resolved by an admin RDP'ing into the affected machine and restarting the Gotomypc service.  This happened to at least four people on Friday and so far this morning there have been three, perhaps four, more. One user checked his event logs on Friday and found an installer event that indicated Gotomypc had attempted to update and then appeared to no longer have an agent present on the system. When he rebooted his PC, Gotomypc came back and connected successfully. How do we fix this and/or prevent it from happening again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Gotomypc update leaves us unable to connect

Hi all - With the help of some log files we have identified that a recent Windows 10 and 11 update is the cause of this issue.  When the GoToMyPC software tried to update recently some Host PCs failed to install the update successfully. Reinstalling the Host software will correct the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working on a fix so that future updates will be successful.

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
KateG
GoTo Moderator

@J.1 In order to take a closer look, could you please send us the event logs? I'll send you a message with the information needed. 

rickinwc
Active Contributor

Same problem here. Several users having issues connecting since the 3601 update. Reinstalling seems to fix the issue.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@rickinwc sorry for the troubles, thanks for letting us know about your workaround. I shared this with out team. 

rickinwc
Active Contributor

I figured out today that deleting the contents of these two directories on the user's machine:

C:\Users\~\AppData\Local\GoToMyPC\*
C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\GoToMyPC\*

-- followed by a restart of the GoToMyPC service on their PC fixes the issue also. A little easier than a full reinstall. 🙂
KateG
GoTo Moderator

@rickinwc good to know and thanks! I'll share this with the team. 

rickinwc
Active Contributor

More user today having this problem. You guys didn't test this new version very well apparently. Lots of my time wasted this morning. Do better next time please. 

rickinwc
Active Contributor

This update also seems to be wiping out the C:\Program Files\GoToMyPC folder, leaving it completely empty in some cases, so the previously mentioned clearing of cache files and restarting the service doesn't work in all cases. In those cases, only a reinstall works. 

awphillips
Active Contributor

Same here. One last week, and one just now. Tried the workarounds mentioned, but we had to reinstall which is a pain because of our security layers.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@rickinwc@awphillips thanks both for your reports. Our team is currently reviewing customer logs. I will keep this thread posted.