cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arifali
GoTo Contributor

How to fix GoToMyPC host offline or connection issues

[Latest updates as of Jan-23-2023 1:30 PM EST ]

In order to provide more reliable and faster connections.  GoToMyPC is doing some major maintenance this weekend and needs support from you all. This change is aimed at increasing the connection speed and availability of your computers, but this one-time large-scale maintenance activity may cause about 5% of machines to go offline or not be connectable. Following is the remedy to get them back online and connectable.
  • Restart the GoToMyPC services on the host computer. Give it 5-10 minutes to come online and then try connecting.
  • If restarting the service does not resolve the issue, reboot the host computer. Give it 5-10 minutes to come online and then try connecting.
  • If both of the above have not worked the next option that can be tried is uninstalling and reinstalling GoToMyPC on the affected computer.
We understand that it's not the best experience and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused, however, we are looking forward to your support while we are upgrading our hardware capacity to serve you better.

[Old update posted on Jan-22-2023 2:22 PM EST ]
The below update is no longer valid and you do not need to try the IP address fix suggested below.  Thank you for being welcoming and supportive GoToMyPC customers. We appreciate your help and patience.

In order to provide more reliable and faster connections.  GoToMyPC is doing some major maintenance this weekend and needs support from you all.  

This change is aimed at increasing the connection speed and availability of your computers,
but this one-time large-scale maintenance activity may cause about 5% of machines to go offline or not be connectable. 

Following is the remedy to get them back online and connectable.

• Restart the GoToMyPC services on the host computer.
  • If restarting the service does not resolve the issue, reboot the host computer.
  • If neither restart of service or reboot resolve the issue,

We sincerely thank you for your trust in GoToMyPC, and for your support and patience in making GoToMyPC faster and more reliable through this maintenance. 

FAQ

Q: What this file does? can it harm my computer? 
A: The file can be be opened in any text editor and its contents can be verified/reviewed. 
It's a registry file which modifies only the GoToMyPC related registry value. 

Q: What exactly this registry files does?
A:  After this maintenance , you host computer needs to be reaching out to new ipaddress of GoToMyPC servers.  While 95% of host machines are already able to reach to new ipaddress, about 5% machines are still referring to old ipaddress, causing them to be offline or have connection issues.  Running this registry file will manually fix that issue by replacing old ipaddress with new.  and its all related to GoToMyPC registry settings. 
This registry file will not modify any other software or Windows settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: How to fix GoToMyPC host offline or connection issues

Hi

We are aware that after our recent maintenance, some customers may still be having trouble connecting to a remote machine or the remote machine is showing as unavailable. To resolve this issue please follow the steps listed in the below article:

My host computer is offline or unavailable

1. Reboot your host computer.
    Note: If you are not physically by your host computer, you will need to find someone who can reboot it for you.
  2. On your client computer, check if the host computer you're trying to access is back online.
    Troubleshooting: It the host computer is still offline, please reinstall GoToMyPC on your client computer.
  3. Check your computer's status again and try connecting.

My host computer is available but the connection is failing

1. Log in to your account at https://www.gotomypc.com/members/login.tmpl.
  2. On the My Computers page, find your host computer and select GlennD_0-1674594088434.pngRestart Computer.
  3. Wait a few minutes for the computer to restart.
  4. Try connecting again.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
J.1
Contributor

Multiple machines dropping out of available status today

First of all, I know there was Goto maintenance last night.

One of my users tried to log onto GTMPC this morning around 8:20 Eastern and could not. He found the notice from 13:50 UTC that GTMPC was investigating the outage, but now we are seeing that more of our machines are showing up as unavailable, and that several of our users see machines listed as available but cannot get past 'that endless green line of death'.

Since the phone support line does not seem to be able to answer our calls right now I would like to know what is going on, especially since your status page claims everything is now okay.

MStuart

Re: Multiple machines dropping out of available status today

Same for us here in CA
AbhishekYadav
GoTo Moderator

Please any one of the below option :

*Restart host PC, wait for 5-6 minutes for machine to come online.
* Restart G2P Service (quit application), wait for 5-6 minutes for machine to come online.
* Reinstall application.

MustangSVO86

I have the same issue with all machines.  

Restarted Host PC - no change

Restarted Host PC GotoMyPC service - not change

Uninstalled and reinstalled GotoMyPC host software - no change

Status is "Disconnected from Internet".  System is connected to the internet and has no problem with any other application.

awphillips
Active Contributor

Same. About half our computers say unavailable, and I am stuck at "waiting for the host computer to connect."

They just posted about a service outage as I was troubleshooting.

AdminLife
Active Contributor

PollServerIPs Causing Connection Issues

There are 2 PollServerIPs . One works and one doesn't. I regedit to the one that works and then it gets changed back to the one that doesn't. Can the folks at GoToMyPC at least get it to stop breaking the fix while they do an actual fix? Please be better.

AbhishekYadav
GoTo Moderator

Re: PollServerIPs Causing Connection Issues

What did you notice when the host connected to other IP? 

J.1
Contributor

Yeah, I tried that. Restarting host pc didn't help. Restarting the Gotomypc service didn't help. Reinstalling the app didn't work either.  Installing an earlier version of the app instead, as recommended by the telephone tech support people, also did not work. We are still showing most of our machines unable to connect and would like to know why this happens whenever a new Gotomypc release gets rolled out, because it seems like this happened the last two times, too.

AdminLife
Active Contributor

Re: PollServerIPs Causing Connection Issues

Here's what I see:

1. I change the PollServerIPs value to the 23.239.***.*** IP

2. I restart GTMPC

3. GTMPC connects okay and the host is available to connect

4. After 60 seconds g2start.exe automatically runs and re-starts GTMPC

5. The PollServerIPs value gets reverted back to 216.115.***.***,23.239.***.***

6. The GTMPC notification tray icon changes to Initializing, then to Disconnected from Internet