cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjorndk
New Contributor

Troubles getting started with GotoMyPC

Have just started a trial on GoToMyPC, but am unable to make it work. 

Have installed GotoMyPC on my office-computer - Windows 10 - with no errors (via VPN - I am unable to get to work)

When I call GotoMyPC on my home-computer, I connect OK, get the message "switching user.. screen will be available momentarily", and after a while "GoToMyPC has encountered a problem and needs to end this session. Please try to re-connect o "<pc>".

I have tried to restart, to uninstall and reinstall, but problem persists. 

In the eventviewer I have some g2avrs.exe-errors, but from I can see in the forum, this is a common problem. 

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

Thank You

Bjørn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Troubles getting started with GotoMyPC

Hi, Bjørn. 

When you installed via VPN, it sets up GoToMyPC in a different environment that is not compatible due to it being virtual -- and not physical.  I'm afraid GoToMyPC was built upon the concept of installing at the local level, and broadcasting what's physically on the host screen.  If there isn't a physical screen for GoToMyPC to capture, then you'll never have a desktop to 'see' remotely. 

Hopefully that makes sense.  If you can get someone to install the software locally, then you'll have not problem connecting. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Troubles getting started with GotoMyPC

Hi, Bjørn. 

When you installed via VPN, it sets up GoToMyPC in a different environment that is not compatible due to it being virtual -- and not physical.  I'm afraid GoToMyPC was built upon the concept of installing at the local level, and broadcasting what's physically on the host screen.  If there isn't a physical screen for GoToMyPC to capture, then you'll never have a desktop to 'see' remotely. 

Hopefully that makes sense.  If you can get someone to install the software locally, then you'll have not problem connecting. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
bjorndk
New Contributor

Re: Troubles getting started with GotoMyPC - problem solved

Hi Ash, 

Thank you very much!

I actually had tried that, but my co-worker did tell me that he had some problems uninstalling before reinstalling, so after making sure (with the help of a Microsoft unistall-helping-program) it was entirely removed, reinstalled and everything restarted it worked, and the stuff I could not do with VPN is now possible. 

You have got yourself a new customer 🙂

Thank you for your help. 

Best regards

Bjørn