Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmcdermo
Active Contributor

keystrokes triggering remote windows events

Host Computer: Mac running MACOS Monterey 12.0.1

Remote Computer: Windows 10

I get connected just fine and things work as expected and then something happens where keyboard input doesn't actually enter letters or numbers into the active application, but kets trapped by the Windows OS and starts throwing up windows and triggering OS navigation events. Mouse and cursor movement continues to work as designed. It feels like I've tripped a keyboard modifier key to signal the OS to capture the keystrokes, but I don't know how to get out of this mode short of disconnecting and reconnecting.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: keystrokes triggering remote windows events

Hi everyone,

This issue should be fully resolved now.  Please check for updates on any affected computer and let us know if you experience any issues along the way.

Thanks for your patience. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
jmcdermo
Active Contributor

Just got off support for this same issue.

Turns out it was related to the use of Cmd+Tab to switch applications on the Mac.

I just updated to MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey today and the fix was to allow access to the AEServer application in the System Preferences.

System Preferences 

Security & Privacy

Privacy Tab

Accessibility

Find "AEServer" in the list on the right and check the box to allow that app to control your computer.

This is the fix that worked for me. No more stray Windows events when using Cmd+Tab to switch applications on my Mac.

Toasty66
Active Contributor

I'm having a similar issue, but that didn't solve it. 

In terminal, when prompted for a password such as with SSH, gotomypc will act as if it have the Fn key held down. So for example, if that password has a "m" in it, it will cause the mac menu to be selected.  Once the problem starts, it can't be fixed without disconnecting/reconnecting.   The host however does not have a keyboard issue i.e., leaving the screen enabled/unlocked, and one can type normally. 

Test this as well - click the green "full screen" button on a window.  If the host is blanking the screen, do you momentarily see the screen on the host during the expansion? 

jmcdermo
Active Contributor

You're right - the issue reemerged later last night. I fortunately was able to get it to stop behaving that way by hitting either the escape key or the Mac's Cmd key. I wasn't ever sure which key would work each time, so I can't tell you why each worked each time they did. In my case, the Mac never responded weirdly, it was the PC. Windows was catching the keystrokes before they got to the active application. I has the issue when using Putty on the remote Windows machine. Typing in the local IP address had windows flying up from all over the Windows screen. It was very jarring.

I'm not sure what you're describing with full screen mode, but I tried what you said and didn't notice anything unusual.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@jmcdermo  @Toasty66  Could you please confirm the affected GoToMyPC host software version? 

Toasty66
Active Contributor

It is the updated 3339 version. 

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Thanks, we'll test these conditions further to see about creating a ticket. 

jmcdermo
Active Contributor

It's the latest 11.8.3339 for me as well.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @jmcdermo  @Toasty66

Thanks for your patience.  We have a fix coming for this issue in the next couple of weeks.  Once the new version is tested we'll update the Community to update any affected hosts. 

Toasty66
Active Contributor

@AshC Thanks for the update.  I was days away from sunsetting GoToMyPc in my organization in favor of another product, but I'll put that on hold.  I do hope that this is a priority as I wouldn't want this have a couple-of-weeks stretch into it not appearing until Jan 2022 or later. 

If there is a beta, I'd be happy to test.