cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IOG-FSU
Active Contributor

GTT: Switch to Desktop Option Missing?

Good morning,

Where has the "Switch to Desktop" option gone in the new version? 

We utilized this option to ensure our panel of presenters were able to share webcams without the ability for all attendees to share their webcams.

We either need this option present, the ability to elevate a Web user to Organizer, or otherwise control who can share their webcams and who can't.

This option exists on the current GoToMeeting web app, but does not exist in the current GoToTraining web app:

GTT No Desktop.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: GTT: Switch to Desktop Option Missing?

Hi everyone, 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this change caused you and your audience. 

To give you a better understanding of this update, we are moving closer to a more fluid GoTo experience and account set up, where you'll soon have additional features and functions available to choose from.  Based upon the number of attendees who were utilizing the desktop app there was a decision made to start disabling native software options in favor of the web experience.  Although we have now pushed this update back temporarily, it's still moving forward in the coming weeks and we will update the Community with those expected changes soon. 

For a reference of what else to expect and how to guide your audience, please see this support page: https://support.goto.com/training/new-experience-guide 

If you need to switch back temporarily and do not see the ability to do so in your account, please click my Community name in order to send a private message with your GoTo Organizer email address. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Phil38
New Contributor

GoToTraining Starter via GoToOpener

Hi there. 

Does anyone with an GoToTraining Starter Plan has the same problem as I? 

When I purchased G2T in 2020 all went fine. I invited my customers to the trainings, they registered themselves and when they wanted to join, a download of GoToOpener (the client software for Mac or Win) was triggered. Then they joined via this application after they allowed the browser to open it. Voilà. 

At the end of March 2021 things changed. The attendees wanted to join, but (on a Mac definitely) GoToOpener wasn't triggered anymore. If the clients use Safari as the standard browser, they stuck in a blank browser window. 

An answer that I got from LogMeIn now (mid-August) was, that GoToOpener is not supported by the Starter Plan.  But it worked until then. The Pro -Plan which they offered me for 4 weeks was working without problems. 

Anyone?

I would be very glad to get an answer. I don't like the other online-training-solutions I tried in the meantime, but I also don't want to pay the additional fee for the Pro-Plan. 

Regards, Phil

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: GoToTraining Starter via GoToOpener

@Phil38  I'm sorry for the miscommunication around this. 

There was a change made to the GoToTraining defaults a few months ago, in preparation for an updated GoTo experience, where new events force attendees to the web-join instead of desktop. 

Unfortunately there isn't currently a way for attendees to switch to the desktop in this case.  We will be updating the support documentation and GoTo plan feature sets very soon to reflect the differences.  

Phil38
New Contributor

Thanks for your post, AshC. 

If that would be a solution … but …

Following the link you posted it says :

If you need to revert back to the classic experience to access any of the features above, end the current session and enable the Use the classic GoToTraining setting at https://global.gototraining.com/training/settings.tmpl. Restart the session and you'll be launched in the classic desktop application.

I got a few options there, but none looks like the one mentioned.

Still looking for a solution … 

FrankB1
New Contributor

Hi, I have the same problem with GoToTraining.

In a trial version (as pro) GoToOpener works without any problems. With "GoToTraining Starter" the browser is started or there is an indication of an inadmissible version.

There must be a solution!

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@FrankB1  @Phil38   I apologize for the confusion around this feature limitation.

Can you give me a use-case scenario for why the in-browser experience is unwanted?  

FrankB1
New Contributor

Sure. 

Neither my clientele nor I use Chrome. That won't change for the time being. Therefore we are dependent on the desktop version. In addition, I don't know why I should forego services just to use the browser application.

Greetings Frank

Phil38
New Contributor

Nearly the same here. 

Use-case scenario? G2T Starter isn't even working in many browsers. So it can't be used.

Many of my customers are working on  a Mac.

• Safari as the standard browser isn't supported and the attendees are looking at a blank browser window when they try to attend. No audio. No video. Not even a message.
  • Firefox doesn't work either. No video, no audio. At least one could see that there is a session. 

Maybe chrome does the job but I can't tell all the people to install it prior to a training. Some aren't even allowed to do so. Please give us the opportunity to switch back to the classic mode (as you wrote in the previous post). G2T Starter worked (flawlessly) before. 

FrankB1
New Contributor

Now a week has already passed and the next events involved additional effort for the participants and for me due to the need for new access data for a GoToMeeting - which nobody pays me. How does it go from now on?
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@FrankB1  @Phil38   I realize this oversight in notification and documentation has been frustrating.   We are taking actions to rectify the knowledge gaps now.  

Thank you  also, for bringing this to our attention.