cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quick_Cutter
Active Contributor

Using Blackmagic ATEM with GTT

Has anyone tried the new Blackmagic ATEM Mini with GTT?  I've been using GTT for two years with logitech webcams, and I want more control over focus, zoom and picture.  The ATEM mini plugs into the thunderbolt port, so I'm wondering how GTT will recognize it.  The ATEM is designed for livestreaming and can handle up to 4 HDMI cameras along with PIP options, so this could be a big enhancement for my GTT sessions.

I'm going to get one for my livestreaming needs on Youtube and Facebook, but I'd love to hear from the community if they have had any success with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: Using Blackmagic ATEM with GTT

I wanted to update the Community on some recent testing we've done with Blackmagic hardware and current Mac operating systems!

This solution should work with Mac OS + Blackmagic ATEM Mini + any HDMI input.  The key is to use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) as a virtual camera driver to map Blackmagic device output to a proper format to use it in G2W.

1. Install OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)
  2. In OBS create a scene setup with 1280x720@30fps
  3. Make sure the Blackmagic device is on and connected.
  4. In OBS add a Video Capture Device to the scene, open its properties and select Blackmagic device (1280x720)
  5. In OBS now select Start Virtual Camera
  6. In the GoTo desktop software you may now select OBS Virtual Camera as an input device

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

I just bought the Blackmagic Designs ATM Mini and tried it out with a GoToWebinar and love the results.  See my writeup here:  https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToMeeting-Discussions/Play-video-embedded-in-PowerPoint-and-mix-m... 

Quick_Cutter
Active Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  Something about this message board is blocking me from looking at your embedded link, but I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Sorry, my message was somehow marked as Spam. As soon as the GoTo folks wake up on the West coast, I hope they can straighten this out.

In a nutshell, you can switch between multiple cameras and computers and send the output of the ATEM Mini to your presentation computer via USB, and GoTo thinks it is a webcam.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Quick_Cutter
Active Contributor

Well, I got the ATEM Mini and haven't been able to configure it with GTT.  It sees the Blackmagic device as a webcam, but when I try to switch it to be my webcam, all I get is a blank preview screen and the spinning circle of infinite waiting.

I've gone into my ATEM settings to change things around to see if it will link up, but no joy yet.  I hope I can get this to work - it will improve my trainings immeasurably.  Getting this to work is going to be a key factor as to whether I stick to the GTT platform.

Quick_Cutter
Active Contributor

OK - over an hour with Service and the bottom line is that the ATEM doesn't work on the desktop app for GTT or GTM.  We got it to work over the internet app for GTM, but the support session concluded by the rep telling me I have to find an "IT Professional"  who can whitelist certain ports that are blocking the desktop app.

Either that, or I can switch to a different videoconference provider that doesn't require me to pay someone to make registry changes that may or may not fix the app and may or may not screw up other programs.

Hmmm. . . .

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

I used the ATEM Mini right out of the box and did NOT load the software.  It worked fine for me. Anything I plugged into it showed up as a webcam in GoToWebinar.

There must be something in the software that makes it not work with GoTo.

Quick_Cutter
Active Contributor

I noticed that on your post that you didn't load the ATEM software, so I tested the ATEM on a Dell Windows 10 laptop that did not have any of the additional ATEM software loaded on it.  GTT/GTM both failed on the Dell.  The ATEM software doesn't have anyting to do with it.  I truly wish it had.

I spent a long time on the phone with support, and support was able to get the ATEM to work with one combination of GTM online - or at least it recognized the camera during setup.    It didn't work at all with the desktop apps.  He told me there was at least one port conflict with the desktop software that needed to be whitelisted, and that I'd have to hire someone to do the work because it was beyond what support would do.  Sounds to me like the GTT/GTM software has a problem running on Windows 10 that needs to be fixed.

The two systems I worked with were a 4 month old Alienware Area 51-M system, which is more than capable of running all of this equipment, and a Dell Latitutde E5540, both of which are running with all current hardware and Windows 10 updates.

One other thing - because I'd really like this to work - is that on both of the systems above I have a minimum of other software loaded.  I don't run MS Office apps or anything but Adobe CS6 and Streamlabs OBS (and Google Chrome) on the Alienware unit, and the only app on the Dell is Camtasia.  I use both systems exclusively for editing media, GTM and livestreaming.  I intentionally keep them as clean as possible to avoid conflicts.  The whitelisting fix is bogus because it means I'm locked into using only one system that I have custom configured to use with GTM/GTT.  The ATEM Mini seems to work with everything else - Zoom, Skype, the Win10 Camera app - so why won't it work with the GoTo apps?

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

The ATEM Mini is a step in the right direction. Maybe competition will heat up and someone else will come up with an alternative that works on all platforms.  I'll keep looking.

Have you seen this?  I have not tried it.

https://www.fakewebcam.com/