cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

GoToWebinar Product Development

I'm a bit surprised by the period of time that some requests are showing in the queues, along with the responses of "soon" to things that should be bug fixes.

It makes me wonder about the status of product development.   
Like most enterprise software players, LogMeIn expanded its portfolio via acquisitions over the last several years. The company acquired the GoTo product line from Citrix in January 2017 for $1.8 billion. In 2015, LogMeIn bought password management software startup LastPass for $110 million, and later acquired Israeli software firm Nanorep for around $45 million. One of its last sizable investments came in February 2018 with its purchase of Jive Communications for $342 million.

I'm curious if this application has stalled development, and wondering if I am getting into the wrong software contract.  We are just a not-for-profit group, with limited budgets.    GoTo is my preferred solution, but, getting nervous about lack of fixes and ongoing promises. 

For those who are committed to the product, maybe you can allieviate my fears?

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Re: GoToWebinar Product Development

Hi @Jayne L 

I think if you look at our What's New page you will see an ongoing list of development and bug fixes: https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/whats-new-g2w010012 

We're not going anywhere.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yep. over the past couple of years I wondered the same. When LogMeIn first acquired GoTo, there was a flury of activity with enhancements (no updates of legacy features that sorely need updating) which were completed but only halfway.  For example, search for "certificates" in the GTW section and you will see they added certificates as an option for webinar attendees. but it is so half-assed that no one can use them. That's only one example.

Now, a few years after LogMeIn acquired GoTo, there's almost no new development and legacy features are completely ignored despite hundreds of requestions for improvements.

I read somewhere that LogMeIn is planning to spin off GoToWebinar, but I can't find the link now. But I discover LogMeIn was acquired by a private equity firm, but I can't tell if the sale went through. Perhaps the pending sale explains the lag on development, or maybe it's just orphaned. I doubt it is orpahned for that price tag. I have to assume that if the privatization goes through, the firm will invest to compete more head to head with Zoom, because at this rate, Zoom and Blue Jeans are killing it. Unfortunately for me, I imagine the price will go up once enhangements are made, but really, who knows?

Fran Simon
Engagement Strategies
http://EngageStrat.com
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Update: Yes, LogMeIn was acquired by a private equity firm, Fransisco Partners, which owns a log of technology brands. Just wondering what that actually means for users like me who have been with GTW almost since its inception. I feel abandoned, but at least the product is affordable. That I cannot complain about! 

Fran Simon
Engagement Strategies
Highlighted
Contributor

We've used G2W for years and find it to be a strong tool, but - yes - there are frustrations with lack of progress in some areas:

• One of our biggest conerns is lack of progress in accessibility (ADA) standards. 
  • Some things are puzzling, like the way questions are handled. No improvements in years.
  • Long ago, I didn't used to mind about attendees not having chat, but that's become an expected feature in collaboration tools.  So no advancement on that is surprising.
  • Many have requested changes in permission levels. To allow others to see and help monitor questions, you basically have to give them the "keys to the kingdom" by promoting to organizer.  That's been a common complaint forever.

The market is certainly changing so I guess we'll see what happens.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

It is not unusual for an  equity group to buy something, just for the maintenance contracts /  existing recurring sales.

It makes me nervous, to be honest.

I was hoping that someone from LogMeIn would chime in, though I understand why they are hesitant to do so.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Of course, private equity makes the technology world go around. I expect that employees are not allowed to comment. However,  here is a great group on Facebook where you might get some information. Good luck.

Fran Simon
Engagement Strategies
Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @Jayne L 

I think if you look at our What's New page you will see an ongoing list of development and bug fixes: https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/whats-new-g2w010012 

We're not going anywhere.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Glenn

If this is the case, that development continues, and that there are items, then it leads me to wonder what the integration is with the community.

I also look at the development, and what I see are a lot of bufixes.  
I don't see monumental changes, unless I am missing something.

I see requests in the community group for items that are pretty common sense, not being addressed.

Lastly, I see bugs impacting a number of folks, which have missed delivery dates.

I am happy that you aren't going somewhere, but, it does seem that there may be a disconnect between product development and the target community, unless there is a major development happening in the background