cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Moderator role in Webinar

Hi

I've used GoToMeeting befroe but am new to GoToWebinar. I'va had a good play with it and think I understand the basics, but there's one thing I haven't nailed:

I'm going to be presenting a webinar shortly, and the compaany I'm doing it for want to have one of their guys to act as moderator, with his main role being to receive questions from the remote attendees and pass the sensible ones on to me. What's the best way to do this in GoToWEbinar?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor

Re: Moderator role in Webinar

Your moderator should have Organizer rights. That way he can see and answer the questions. He can also unmute Attendee microphones if you wish for live questions.

I often work as the moderator for webinars. Often I am running the computer that is showing the PowerPoint to the audience. This can be difficult if there are a lot of slides, since the slides can not advance if someone is answering questions.

Best to have the moderator on a separate computer sitting next to you. The moderator is connected as an Organizer, and the presenter, on their own computer is connected as a Panelist or Organizer. 

The moderator can read questions and answer the easy ones like "Have you started yet?"  The other questions can be held until Q&A time, or the moderator can write them on a paper pad so the presenter can glance at them to see which to answer now and which to wait until later.

If you do this all on one computer and have a second monitor, I often broadcast the second monitor to the GoTo audience. I put the PowerPoint show on the second monitor and sit the presenter in front of the second monitor. If I find a question that the presenter needs to see, I can drag the question panel from the primary monitor to the second monitor, so the presenter can read it. The presenter sees the question panel in front of the PowerPoint slide.  The question panel is not seen by the audience, but the audience can see my mouse movements.

NOTE: If you have more than one computer in the same room connected to the same webinar, be sure you are using the microphone and speakers of only one of the computers.  Mute the microphone and speakers of the computers that are NOT broadcasting the audio to the audience.

4 REPLIES 4
Respected Contributor

Your moderator should have Organizer rights. That way he can see and answer the questions. He can also unmute Attendee microphones if you wish for live questions.

I often work as the moderator for webinars. Often I am running the computer that is showing the PowerPoint to the audience. This can be difficult if there are a lot of slides, since the slides can not advance if someone is answering questions.

Best to have the moderator on a separate computer sitting next to you. The moderator is connected as an Organizer, and the presenter, on their own computer is connected as a Panelist or Organizer. 

The moderator can read questions and answer the easy ones like "Have you started yet?"  The other questions can be held until Q&A time, or the moderator can write them on a paper pad so the presenter can glance at them to see which to answer now and which to wait until later.

If you do this all on one computer and have a second monitor, I often broadcast the second monitor to the GoTo audience. I put the PowerPoint show on the second monitor and sit the presenter in front of the second monitor. If I find a question that the presenter needs to see, I can drag the question panel from the primary monitor to the second monitor, so the presenter can read it. The presenter sees the question panel in front of the PowerPoint slide.  The question panel is not seen by the audience, but the audience can see my mouse movements.

NOTE: If you have more than one computer in the same room connected to the same webinar, be sure you are using the microphone and speakers of only one of the computers.  Mute the microphone and speakers of the computers that are NOT broadcasting the audio to the audience.

New Contributor

Thanks you Chris, very useful advise
Respected Contributor

I've been GoToing for many years. Glad to share some of my wisdom.

New Contributor

A webinar moderator helps mediate a live conference in a wide range of ways. Unfortunately, the role of webinar moderator is often underestimated. ... During any given video conferencing session, the webinar moderator will coordinate responsibilities including: Audience welcome message mybkexperience.