cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tracejackson

Tips for hosting community conference on GTW

Just this week we had to cancel our annual user group gathering (thank you, COVID) where we normally host about 400 of our users and they fly in from all over the country for 3 days of amazing community time, training, sessions, and fun evenings out.

We're pivoting and will be providing a several hour virtual User Group and I was wondering if you guys have any specific tips for hosting a virtual User Group/Conference (not to be confused with just a conference call, but I mean a conference itself)??

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Tips for hosting community conference on GTW

Hi @tracejackson 

I think the two main things you will need to manage are who is on webcam and who is unmuted and able to speak. 

1. In GoToWebinar up to 6 webcams can be shared at the same time, so attendees will need to take turns. https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/share-your-webcam-desktop-app-g2w040019
  2. Webinar attendees join muted by default, webinar staff do not. With such a large group I would recommend unmuting attendees when they need to talk, this will cut down on background noise in the conference call https://support.goto.com/webinar/help/mute-and-unmute-your-attendees-g2w050040

If you would like to share more details about how you are hoping to structure your event I am sure some of our community members will have some tips to share.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Tips for hosting community conference on GTW

We assume you won't have all 400 people talking at once.  Thus you need an organizer who can unmute the person or persons you wish to speak.  Scrolling through a list of 400 can take a few seconds trying to locate a person. 

It would be good to have a second Organizer on a seperate computer to keep up with the Question box.

You can tell Attendees to raise their hand if they wish to speak. Or they can enter a question/comment in the Question box.  A moderator could read the texted questions/comments.

GlennD had some great comments.

Do NOT unmute all 400 people at the same time.  You will be surprised by how much background sounds can add up over many microphones, especially if they are working from home with children, pets, TVs, doorbells, typing, etc in the background.