cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simone1
Active Contributor

Video shared during webinar was not recorded

Hi there,

I shared two videos  during a webinar, but I'm not sure why they were not recorded.

They were both mp4 files, one of 106,613 KB, and the other 21,161 KB. They were not YouTube videos.

This was a test webinar to see if sharing videos worked well, and the colleague who joined as an attendee said the videos were showing with no problems during the live session.

Any ideas of what I could have done wrong there? Any settings I should have enabled, maybe?

Any advice will be very much appreciated, thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Video shared during webinar was not recorded

These were videos you uploaded to the GoTo cloud?  Not links to YouTube videos?

I have found that not all MP4 videos are created equal, and they can play on certain computers/operating system/web browser, but not on others.  It is odd that the video showed on your colleague's computer but not the recording. 

For all videos I play back during webinars, I run them through a video filter to ensure they are all encoded with a format that will work on all devices.  Then I upload them to the GoTo cloud.

Simone1
Active Contributor

Hi @ChrisDroessler
Thanks for replying so promptly!

No, these were not Youtube links, but mp4 files.
I uploaded them on my webinar set up on the 'engage your attendees' section.

I may be totally wrong, but it doesn't seem to be a matter of the videos not working on particular devices/computers: they worked on two colleagues' computers, and on mine as well when playing them on the live webinar.
They  are just not showing on the recording with the rest of the webinar - and I was the presenter when sharing the videos, so this was not the issue either.

May I ask what sort of tool you use as a video filter?

I'm not familiar with these, so any recommendation would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

p.s.: it might be worth mentioning too that the videos I shared were actually created using GotoWebinar, they are clips from a previous webinar recording (which play with no issues when I open them on my computer).

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Since these videos were created with GoToWebinar, then there should not be a problem with the compatibility of the video.

I use Final Cut Pro to edit my videos and then run them through Apple's Compressor to create a MP4 file that seems to work well on all platforms and for playback during webinars.

Here is a link to a discussion where I shared the settings I use.

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/Recordings-playback-with-no-video/m-p/20695... 

mike029
New Contributor

Hi Simone1,

I have encountered the same problem/challenge.
We have already gone through 2 webinars for 2 consecutive days and the recording did not show any of the videos we have uploaded and played through gotowebinar.

After the webinar in itself I had to download the recording then had to edit it through adobe premiere pro so that I could stitch up the videos that we showed.

what happened to you happened exactly to us. The videos were viewed by the attendees and the panelists with no hitches.

Would you think that this is a glitch in the system? or do we need to turn something on in the settings?

The video recording is a vital part to us. Hoping for your immediate response/feedback.

Thank you!
Webinar Chick
Contributor

Mike and Simone, 

The recording has never included any video you play.  Your instincts are right - you have to add the video you played in the live event in post-editing. I would also suggest you delay your on-demand availability and follow up email at least one day.  Download the original video, then save it.  Edit the original video to include the video you are missing. Upload it back to GoToWebinar. Then go back to your event set up - go to emails and in the follow-up email - select your edited video as a replacement to the original.  

Sharyn

mike029
New Contributor

Hi Sharyn,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I would like to ask if this problem / challenge was due to the November 2020 update?

We've been using GoToWebinar for months now and all of our recordings included all the videos we have played during the live webinar event, except recently. Then suddenly this start of November the only thing it recorded was the webcams and share screen presentations. Not the video.

Thank you for your response.

Mike
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

My videos have always been included in the recording, but I have not used videos in my webinars for several months, so this might be a new thing.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

Only uploaded .MP4 files will be captured in online recordings, and linked YouTube videos will be cut from the final recording. If your account is set to local recording (to your computer), the webcams and shared videos will not be included.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
Simone1
Active Contributor

Hi @GlennD 

Thank you very much for your reply, but as I had mentioned in my original post, these are mp4 videos, not YouTube links.

And also:

• I took care that the settings were to record to the cloud, not locally on my computer.
  • One was 106,613 KB, and the other 21,161 KB, which I believe are well under the size limit of 4GB.
  • These videos were created with GotoWebinar, on a previous session - so I imagine there should be no compatibility problem.

I actually did another test with the same videos/settings mentioned above, and the issue is unfortunately persisting: the videos were not recorded.

@Chris Droessler 

Many thanks for sharing what you do to prepare a video for a webinar. Unfortunately I haven't got access to the tools you use. But also, it doesn't seem right that the videos need to be prepared in a rather professional way so videos created on GtW are compatible with GtW!

But of course this is a GtW issue, not criticism to your reply, I really appreciate you trying to help 🙂

@mike029 and @Webinar Chick 

Many thanks for your replies too!

It does help to know that I'm not alone in having this issue, and having to edit the recording afterwards to include the videos.

Hopefully GtW will look into it, as this does seem to be an issue that is not quite right.