cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajrichmond
Active Contributor

Account Recovery failing on from Browser with extension installed

I am trying to perform an account recovery from a browser I do have the extension installed on and I have successfully logged into from before. From what I read it "LastPass Vault data (e.g., URLs, usernames and site passwords, secure notes, form fill items) is stored locally on your computer, and the storage location is dependent on the operating system(s) and web browser(s) you use." I have confirmed the location and data exists locally for the browser location it references. From what I can tell I don't see anything like windows defender, the browsers pop up blocker or anything I have installed blocking the browser from access? 

Any ideas on what could be causing the account recovery to fail even though I have the extension installed and haven't cleared locally stored recovery cache (from what I understand this is not the same as browser cache and clearing browser cache/cookies isnt the same as locally stored cache that Lastpass is talking about?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Account Recovery failing on from Browser with extension installed

Hello,

Sorry for any confusion. The error message you see does not mean that the extension isn't currently installed and needs to be installed, it means that there isn't an available recovery one time password available in that browser and recovery will not be possible in that browser, you will need to try in another browser or using a different recovery method. For more information on what a recovery one time password is as well as what could cause your browser to not have one stored can be found here: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/what-is-a-recovery-one-time-password-in-lastpass

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello @ajrichmond,

If you see an error message that says the browser extension hasn't been installed this means that recovery will not be possible in that browser, please follow the steps here for next steps and other options: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-see-a-message-that-lastpass-account-recovery-h...

ajrichmond
Active Contributor

I'm getting that message but I do have the extension installed and I have successfully logged into it before and I have never cleared the locally cached recovery files so why would I be getting that error?

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @ajrichmond,

The error message you're seeing means that you do not have an available recovery one-time password in that browser and recovery will not be possible in that browser, please follow the steps here for next steps and other options: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-see-a-message-that-lastpass-account-recovery-h...

ajrichmond
Active Contributor

Sorry if I'm not being clear in my questions. I understand what the error means but I'm trying to why since I have the extention installed, I have logged into from this browser, and havent cleared the locally stored cache within the extention? This means I shouldnt be getting that error? 

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello,

Sorry for any confusion. The error message you see does not mean that the extension isn't currently installed and needs to be installed, it means that there isn't an available recovery one time password available in that browser and recovery will not be possible in that browser, you will need to try in another browser or using a different recovery method. For more information on what a recovery one time password is as well as what could cause your browser to not have one stored can be found here: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/what-is-a-recovery-one-time-password-in-lastpass

View solution in original post

ajrichmond
Active Contributor

Thank you....it was not clear from all the other documents that "Clearing your web browser cache" would cause so I'm sure that is what the problem is as the only other possibility would have been "Unintentional corruption of your encrypted Vault cache (this is rare, but can be caused by other programs on your machine)"

dinocat62
New Contributor

I have this problem too. Here is my situation: My old IOS device suffered water damage and Face ID was disabled. I can't do account recovery with my old phone because it requires biometrics. I have a new iPhone 12 with IOS 14.8.  I'm attempting account recovery with my new phone and I'm getting the extension not installed error.  What do I do?

Thanks

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @dinocat62,

If you see an error message that says the browser extension hasn't been installed this means that recovery will not be possible in that browser, please follow the steps here for next steps and other options: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-do-i-see-a-message-that-lastpass-account-recovery-h...