cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimRP
Active Contributor

Can't log in after changing master password

Today I followed LastPass's recommendation to change my Master Password. I enter the password twice as requested, and then received a message my data was being re-encrypted with the new password. Since then, I've been unable to log in. When I try, Lass Pass says to check for an email or try again. I did receive an email notifying me of the change, however there is no link there to let LastPass know I received it. So I've tried every other method I could find. I clicked on forgot password, and LastPass sent me an SMS code to verify my identity. That came through just fine, however didn't get me into my account. So at this point, I can't access LastPass at all. I use it constantly, and I hope for rapid relief. Thanks for any assistance!!

28 REPLIES 28
kam1
New Contributor

Hi Rachel,

When I click on Account recovery I receive a link in my email to use. When I click on the link I am taken to a vault where I am asked to enter a new master password. Once I enterethe new password the system does an encryption

Then I look at the account and it shows the master password was updated in June which means the new master password is not getting updated in the system. 

RachelO
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @kam1,

Thanks for the additional information. We see that there are no available recovery one-time passwords for your account, which means most methods of account recovery will not work (such as recovery via email/browser). I do see that you had generated some One-Time Passwords at some point, if you are able to locate that generated One-Time Password you can visit this link to enter an OTP and your account info to reset your master password: https://lastpass.com/otp.php?forcelogin=1force_changepw=1 or try another method of account recovery: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/recover-your-lost-master-password-lp020010

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
ValSv
New Contributor

I had many attempts trying to recover my account. 

I proceed through the link, enter a new master password, receive a message about re-encryption. It seems like everything should work because it takes me back to the account settings. But once I try to log in again the password is incorrect. And yes, with many attempts I made sure that my password is correct. I also think that my initial password was correct because I followed the hint and use this password for a long time. I strongly believe that this might be a bug. 

RachelO
Retired GoTo Contributor

Hi @ValSv,

I have reviewed your account and verification emails were sent after you used account recovery and changed your Master Password. You will need to verify your login via an email that was sent to your Outlook email. We would recommend checking your email account in a browser, instead of through a mail app or mail program, and making sure that these emails aren't being sent to the junk/spam folder instead of your inbox. We would also recommend checking your email settings to be sure no LastPass or LogMeIn email addresses are being blocked or are on the blocklist/blacklist. Additionally, please be sure these email addresses are added to your Safe Senders list or allowlist/whitelist in your email settings: support@lastpass.com, do-not-reply-support@lastpass.com, support-replies@logmein.com and then attempting to log in to LastPass again which will prompt a new Verification Email to be sent. The subject line of the email you're looking for is "LastPass Security Notification: Login attempt blocked"  

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
jhfhd
New Contributor

I have the same issue after using device recovery process because i forgot my old PW and enter New PW in the 2 fields and re-encryption done.

trying to login back with the new PW keep failing with msg password is incorrect

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @jhfhd,

I have reviewed your account and see only failed sign in attempts since you changed your master password, meaning what you are entering does not match the new master password. Remember, the master password is 12 or more characters long and has at least one upper and lower case letter, number and symbol. It is also case sensitive so you may want to type it out in a text editor to check exactly how it is being entered. 

You may want to try signing in directly on our website lastpass.com using a desktop browser since touch keyboards can be difficult.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Milon121
New Contributor

I forget my master pass but i can not recover it. 

Tags (1)
AshC
GoTo Moderator

I'm sorry, @Milon121 

I could find no recovery methods available on your account, and we cannot change the password for you.  If you cannot remember the password, please follow these instructions to reset your account: https://support.lastpass.com/help/reset-your-lastpass-account-lp010066 

Ash is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
MinimalisticCat
New Contributor

I'm having literally the exact same problem! I lost my original login password for the Lastpass phone app. When I took the steps to make a new password, I never got an email of confirmation or anything saying I had even attempted to change the password. When I try getting the hint for the new login to see if it successfully updated, the password hint is of the previous password that I lost.