cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankLeeAwful
New Contributor

Cannot log in, LastPass says the master password is incorrect

I got randomly logged out sometime this or last week and only noticed it now. Fine.

I can't log back in and the Master Password doesn't even work. Not fine.

I have confirmed over and over again that my email and password are correct, and I am still unable to log in.

I'm scared the whole thing might be compromised, confused, and quite frankly, livid.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: Cannot log in

HI @FrankLeeAwful 

I have reviewed your account, the Master Pass word has not been changed and all activity has been from the same IP address. The most common issue with Master Passwords is that they are case sensitive, it is very easy to get just one character wrong and have the login fail.

I recommend typing your Master Password out in a test editor so you can see exactly what is being entered. It must be 12 characters or more, have at least one upper and lower case letter, number and symbol. Lock outs are temporary, so you can try multiple times wait 20 minutes and try again. I do not see any recovery one time passwords generated for your account so the only way to access the vault is to enter the Master Password correctly.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
FrankLeeAwful
New Contributor

Hi Glenn, thank you for your time, but that is simply not the case here. My password is stored in an electronic document. My hint is the name of that document. I have not altered that document[version history confirms this]. I have used this password to log in before.

It has not changed, and it is not wrong.

NMGF
New Contributor

Hi Frank and hello LastPass Team

I have the same issue. 100% sure that my PW is correct have a second store as BackUp.

I also checkt by doing in WORDS the test (Large and lower case ) and all is correct.

APP says "password invalid"  but if if i make an extra mistake, the report is: Wrong password or email. 

I've had this problem since I was asked to log into one or the other cell phone, as the free multiple use will soon no longer be available. I hadn't made the choice yet and now there seems to be an IT problem.

WotGorilla
Active Contributor

Exactly the same issue here ... with bells on.

LastPass refused to except my correct password [Firefox and Opera browsers on Windows 10 PC] on multiple occasions yesterday, forcing me to go through the recovery scenario - via my phone.

Turned computer on today and ... rinse and repeat! Maddening.

Years of access-free trouble with the FREE version, my arm is metaphorically twisted up the back to pay, and within a couple of weeks ... this! Ugh.  😫

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello, 

If you are sure you are entering your password correctly, and have tried on multiple devices and connections (such as on a desktop on wifi and a mobile device that is NOT connected to wifi) and have tried resetting your master password and are still not able to log in after changing your master password, please create a request with the support team who can investigate further: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/recover-your-lost-master-password-lp020010

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
WotGorilla
Active Contributor

Thanks for the response Rachel.

Weirdly - albeit happily - since logging this issue the problem hasn't recurred since! 

MaryH
New Contributor

May 29, 2021  I decided to change the Master password.  I changed the password and logged in one with the new password.  It won't log in again using that password.

I have been a long time user of Lastpass Premium, with a period during Covid with a lapsed in membership.  I realized my mistake and resubscribed with Premium In March.  I understand that Premium gives me priority support.  I have emailed Lastpass support and only one response.  In the response they wanted me sign in to send a log.  Well I can't because the password must be corrupted.

I have been using the old password for at least 2 years with no problems.  I had not taken precautions with a backup of the password because I was not aware of those features so, the only option available was the revert of the password to the previous.  I reverted the password on my main computer, it encrypted the data.  When I tried to use the old password.  the hint was from the changed password. 

In the instructions on the help site, it states that if one has logged in using the password successfully and wish to revert, it is possible. I have tried everything to get my original password back. 

My husbands computer has Lastpass installed as an extension.  I have left it alone just in case there is a way to get my original master password.

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello @MaryH,

If you see any errors when trying to Revert a recent master password change here: https://lastpass.com/revert.php then the option to allow password Reverts may have been disabled in your account settings. So that the support team can verify account ownership and assist with a revert, please create a ticket for the support team by scrolling down and clicking Contact Support at the bottom center of this page: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/revert-to-your-previous-master-password

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
MaryH
New Contributor

I changed my old long time password somewhere around 4-6 PDT on 5/29/2021.  After the password change I logged out.  I then proceeded to login to test it, successfully.  An hour later I tried to login unsuccessfully.  Ever since then I have been locked out. 

Reverts are active. In fact,  I successfully did a revert at midnight PDT about 3 am EST 5/30/2021.  It encrypted my account and then sent me to account reset.  Well, I don't have the password so I can't reset.  I checked the password hint but it was for the new password which has been lost.

If I changed the password about 6 PM then the revert should be before that revert.  Lastpass responded to my email, from the link you sent me. They asked me to do another revert.  It did the revert back to 3 am 5/30/2021!!!!

They will not respond to further emails!!!!!!!!!  Help I'm going crazy with this.