cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ht1698
Active Contributor

Firefox continually removes LastPass extension

Firefox continually removes the LastPass extension, saying for security reasons. It's odd, because it's a "recommended" plugin in their list. But about once a week, it will disable the extension, and I have to go through the process of removing the extension and then reinstalling it.

The Google Chrome browser has no such issue with LastPass. I have tried removing the extensions files from the Firefox folders, as recommended elsewhere, but that does not help.

How can this issue with Firefox be fixed? I have the most recent version of Firefox (32 bit) installed.

25 REPLIES 25
cogit8r
Active Contributor

Re: Firefox continually removes LastPass extension

I'm having what sounds like the exact same issue. Was expecting a ton of hits when I Googled this but no. Found this post only by visiting the community forums and searching directly. Seems it is only a few users experiencing this issue, otherwise there would surely have been a huge outcry.

Firefox 98.0.2 (32-bit)
LastPass 4.91.0.4 as reported in the Firefox Add-ons manager (cannot access LastPass extension directly, of course . . .). Oddly, the version available on the LastPass site at https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php is 4.88.0 - go figure; I haven't tried installing this older version to see if it fixes the problem - downgrading shouldn't be the answer except perhaps as a temporary workaround.

Re-starting my PC sometimes results in the extension getting re-enabled but not always. Just re-starting Firefox doesn't re-enable it. The extension, when removed and re-installed (or re-enabled as described) works fine for from a few hours to a day or so, then craps out again.

Pretty frustrating, especially since the extension was installed directly through the browser and hence was apparently signed and verified as okay.

ht1698
Active Contributor

Are you on a 32 bit machine also? That could be the key, and why it doesn't affect very many people -- could be a bug in the 32 bit version of Firefox.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @ht1698  and @cogit8r, welcome to the community.

I think I have a 32bit laptop some place, I will see if I can recreate the issue you are reporting. Which operating systems are you both using?

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
ht1698
Active Contributor

I'm using Windows 7. It takes a week or so each time for the extension to be rejected.

cogit8r
Active Contributor

Yes, 32-bit. I can boot into a 64-bit install, too, if that proves necessary for testing purposes. But I don't use it much and I think neither Firefox nor LastPass are present there.
cogit8r
Active Contributor

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2.

32-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

cogit8r
Active Contributor

This message board is kinda weird – replies don't seem to indicate to which message they are replying. Could get really confusing. Or am I missing something?

jamiesop
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue with the extension having to be periodically deleted and reinstalled in Firefox. Doing so easily resolves the problem for a month or two but I have a family member who now finds she is having to do so every week, mirroring the experiences of @cogit8r and @ht1698.

She and I are both using the 64 bit version of Firefox v99.0.1 on modern 64 bit Windows 10 pc's version 21H2, mine is running Windows Pro. The LastPass extension was downloaded from the add-ons store and it's version 4.93.0.1.

I was also surprised by the lack of comments online about this problem but a quick check with colleagues who have experienced the issue shows that they just uninstall then reinstall the extension and don't bother reporting it. Maybe that won't be the case if they have to start doing it weekly but has there been any progress with a proper solution?

cogit8r
Active Contributor

The plot thickens - problem isn't limited to 32-bit OS and/or Firefox application, then. I remain surprised there is so little noise about this; maybe there is some hidden common factor that is . . . uncommon, if you get my drift.