cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rustyy
New Contributor

How is data stored and synced

Just want to get my head around how the app works in the background. If I have the desktop app and also on my phone and iPad. Are all my passwords stored together centrally in the cloud or just stored and synced between devices (so they are the only places the entire password set is stored). Do I need to keep local backups of the app or, if say I lose my phone or laptop, can the password store be rebuilt from remaining devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: How is data stored and synced

Hi @Rustyy,

Yes, User data input via the LastPass web or mobile application is encrypted with the user’s unique key on their device and the AES-256 encrypted data is synced to LastPass cloud servers for secure storage. The user can access and decrypt their data on demand with their master password – which occurs entirely at the user and device-level. This means when you log in to your LastPass Vault on a new browser or device your encrypted data is synced from the cloud then un-encrypted and shown on your device.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Rustyy,

We’ve implemented AES-256 bit encryption with PBKDF2 SHA-256 and salted hashes to ensure complete security in the cloud. Your Vault data is encrypted and decrypted at the device level. Data stored in your vault is kept secret, even from LastPass. Your master password, and the keys used to encrypt and decrypt data, are never sent to LastPass’ servers, and are never accessible by LastPass.

For more detailed information about LastPass' security controls please see the SPOC report here: https://logmeincdn.azureedge.net/legal/LastPass-SPOC.pdf

Rustyy
New Contributor

That's interesting info but my question isn't security related. I was interested in knowing where the vault is stored. I see that I can log in to the vault on a web browser so I'm assuming that links to my vault in the cloud?

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Rustyy,

Yes, User data input via the LastPass web or mobile application is encrypted with the user’s unique key on their device and the AES-256 encrypted data is synced to LastPass cloud servers for secure storage. The user can access and decrypt their data on demand with their master password – which occurs entirely at the user and device-level. This means when you log in to your LastPass Vault on a new browser or device your encrypted data is synced from the cloud then un-encrypted and shown on your device.

View solution in original post

Rustyy
New Contributor

OK thanks for that, a bit clearer.