cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigDaddy3
New Contributor

LastPass saves password as all asterisks

I receive mail notification from the USPS via their Informed Delivery option.  Last Pass used to work fine.  I had to delete the USPS account and register with a new  name and password because USPS could not grasp that I had moved. 

LastPass keeps prompting me to Save New Password.  I did so thinking the web address one registers on is different that the actual log in page.  Next time I could not log in. Changed passwords, repeated the cycle and couldn't log in again.  Eventually it occurred to be to look at the decrypted password and it was ***********, the same as the encrypted password.

As long as I don't hit save, it works OK, but I am conditioned to hit save because I change passwords or save new passwords frequently

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Lastpass corrupts USPS.com password

Hello,

This can sometimes happen when the website uses Javascript to replace the actual password input in a field with actual unicode dots/asterisks upon saving your password or logging in. LastPass then captures those replaced dots/asterisks characters instead of the correct characters. The solution is to manually update/add the site entry in your Vault instead of auto-saving the entry, to ensure that the actual password characters are being saved instead of the replaced characters.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
dicot
New Contributor

This happened to me with both the USPS site and another one (I forget offhand which site - fortunately the password was saved in the browser.)

LP asks to update the password and I say yes, and it replaces it with asterisks.
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello,

This can sometimes happen when the website uses Javascript to replace the actual password input in a field with actual unicode dots/asterisks upon saving your password or logging in. LastPass then captures those replaced dots/asterisks characters instead of the correct characters. The solution is to manually update/add the site entry in your Vault instead of auto-saving the entry, to ensure that the actual password characters are being saved instead of the replaced characters.

View solution in original post

SnottyKitty
New Contributor

I have been having this same issue and have tried manually adding an entry for USPS as you suggested.  However, LP will not save the login entry if I change the password from the row of ****s to the actual password before hitting save.  It just sits there frozen.  I don't understand why it's not working when it's been working for years.  

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Could you try deleting any USPS.com entries in your Vault, then manually re-adding the entry using the Save All Entered Data option as outlined below? 

1. Make sure you are logged in to your LastPass browser extension.
  2. Go to the website whose login you need to force-save.
  3. On the login page, fill in your credentials (username, email address, password, etc) but do not press login.
  4. Click the LastPass Icon and select the “Save All Entered Data” option at the bottom of the menu.
  5. Confirm the information in the save site dialog and see if it saves as expected.
  6. Once saved, when you return to the login page LastPass should fill the data for you. You can also “force-fill” the login from the LastPass notification bar, or from the LastPass icon by selecting the site name at the bottom of the menu and then clicking “autofill”.

SnottyKitty
New Contributor

I had actually gone through those steps but still could not get good results.  So I undeleted my USPS entry in LP, entered the correct password and saved it.  It now works fine, but still wants to update the password for this site every time I log in.  I just click "not now" and the popup window goes away.  Now I just have to remember to not update for this site, but if I forget and hit update out of habit, I know how to fix it thanks to your previous posts to other users.  I can't help but wonder what has changed to cause this.  Is it something in LP or something about the USPS website that has changed, or something in Chrome.  I did not have this issue while using MS Edge.  At any rate, the issue is now solved as best it can be it seems.   Thank you for all your help.

BigDaddy3
New Contributor

Spoiler
What Rachel says should work.  Once you log in you will see that all your packages are In Transit, Delivery Date Unknown.  I coming up on 3 weeks for one.
jduffus
New Contributor

I have experienced this with the USPS.com's "Informed Delivery service" too. 

The problem is not limited to LastPass, either. My browser saves passwords too, and it will prompt after every login to ask if I want to update my password. This will of course, change the password in both LP and the browser to "***************" if you slip and allow it. 

I'd say it's just another example of the government having to do things differently than everyone else.

gameres
New Contributor

Thanks for the info.  You are quite right.  One question though.  Is there a way to prevent it from changing?  It seems like when i log in LastPass picks up on the "change" and wants to save the ******* instead of the normal password.

BigDaddy3
New Contributor

It's like when you stick your credit card in the machine.  It says processing......as soon as it flashes Do Not Remove Card, you take your card out.  It's a conditioning thing. 

When LastPass says I should save my login, I save it.