cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valiantskipper
New Contributor

Why do I need to verify LastPass login via email every time I log in?

Your system keep blocking my sign ins. I get a stream of emails telling me I am blocked.  My case ticket has been closed, despite my protestations by Willian -    Case Number: 15431316.    I keep having to go thru the long OTP process, and then keep getting blocked. Surely this is a simple fix. I am a Premium Account holder.

LastPass.png

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: I cannot log in - must use OTP each time

Hi @valiantskipper,

In order to be able to verify that you have access to the email address you use for your LastPass account (either because LastPass doesn't recognize your device or you are logging in from a new location or new IP, such as if you're using a VPN), you are required to verify yourself by clicking a verification link via email.

ref: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/why-am-i-nbsp-seeing-a-message-error-nbsp-please-verify...

You can disable these emails in your Account Settings if you'd like, although we would definitely recommend enabling multifactor authentication as and added layer of security for your account if you disable this setting:

• Open your LastPass Vault, click Account Settings on the left side menu of the Vault
  • Click Show Advanced Settings
  • Scroll down to the Security section, make sure "Don't require email verification from unknown devices and locations." is disabled

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
valiantskipper
New Contributor

Thank you, Rachel.

You wrote I have to revalidate for these reasons:

• LastPass doesn't recognize your device or
  • You are logging in from a new location
  • Or new IP, such as if you're using a VPN

None of these apply in my circumstances.  I use the same devices daily, from the same location, and am not using a VPN.

Only my iPad seems immune from this annoying process: there I can use the biometric sign-in process.  What's more, the system doesn't always accept the OTP process. Somehow, something is being triggered in the LP system, so my credentials are blocked automatically.

Ideas?

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Hello,

Please note that the email verification is not your account being blocked if you've entered the correct username and master password (or one-time password, if you are logging in using a generated one-time password: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass/help/use-temporary-one-time-passwords-lp030002), but simply that LastPass needs to verify this is you logging in. We've also noticed that this can happen if your device or browser is set to clear cache/cookies/history often or when the browser is closed or the device is restarted. Some other applications, such as anti-virus software, other third party or privacy extensions, or security suites may also remove cookies from your web browser. Please configure your settings to allow third-party cookies, add https://lastpass.com as an exception, and allowlist LastPass wherever applicable in your browser and extension preferences. Please also be sure that in your browser preferences the option "Clear cookies and site data when you quit" is NOT enabled.

You can disable these emails in your Account Settings if you'd like, although we would definitely recommend enabling multifactor authentication as and added layer of security for your account if you disable this setting:

• Open your LastPass Vault, click Account Settings on the left side menu of the Vault
  • Click Show Advanced Settings
  • Scroll down to the Security section, make sure "Don't require email verification from unknown devices and locations" is disabled. Click Save.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!