This is an example of just how much they don't care about the end user experience. The redirecting of the Default Printer is highly disruptive but they don't care. This is not SOLVED. More accurately the problem I brought up is being IGNORED. It's crazy to blatantly ignore this issue.
They probably think it is no big deal - a minor setting that anyone can override if they need to. However, it isn't. This is what happens: Excel in Office 2016 maintains information about every available printer inside each workbook file. Lord knows why, but it is Microsoft, and there is not much we can do about that. I have torn apart these files in some detail. Each printer is represented by a complex structure with all sorts of attributes and capability indicators. The strange thing is that the "local" printer automatically provided by LogMeIn has a structure that is twice as large as that of the other printers, and, guess what - when Excel goes back and opens one of these files, it claims that the XLSX file is corrupt!
I found out a funny thing about clients: they don't like spending time entering lots of information into spreadsheets and then finding that they are corrupt. I am not sure why that is. They have to call me, and I unpack the file, delete the XML structure for the bogus printer, re-pack it and it is as good as new - but they have to get hold of me every time this happens. The workaround is to set up a script to delete the dumb printer whenever they log in, before they have a chance to save any spreadsheets, but why is LogMeIn forcing me to do this?
I wasn't aware of the Excel problem. This seems to offer a solution up to 2013: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/829766/mailbox-and-other-printer-specific-settings-are-save...
Why do I get the feeling that's a security issue?
Does this mean that we would need to reinstall logmein to the host computer in order to set the remote printing to a default of 'OFF'? -and we would need to do that for all of the computers, if that wasn't done?
> Turns out you can add computers to the Host Preference Package, which effectively applies these new defaults.
It applies a change away from the default. It's not a 'new default'.
It applies a set of configurations that will automatically be applied to the clients when they are loaded.
-In essence, these are "NEW" Defaults.
Call it what you want.
It is absolutely insane to me that 13 years later, this same issue is still present in LogMeIn. How can you call yourself a software company if you allow a critical flaw to go unchecked for 13 years. This has broken numerous business-critical sheets and were it not for me discovering the cause and the fix on Friday we would be up **bleep** creek. Just found after logging in today, OneNote by LogMeIn is back to the default. No. Get rid of it.
I call it a royal pain in the @$$ and unnecessarily so.
I dont call having Logmein Central to override the default as a "new default". Tha'ts just nonsense. When I apply a Microsoft GPO in a Microsoft Windows Domain to make a "new default" as you call it, we call it in the IT business call it overriding the default setting. We are referring to the "default" from the developer.
Maybe you should the many comments on this thread I created to convince you there is a serous problem that they can easily correct.
I found an alternative since Logmein doesnt want to listen to their customers..