cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Problems with Blanking of the Host Screen During Remote Control (Windows 10)

I thought I should let the community know about this.  I submitted the bug report in January and as of yet, it is not resolved.

In the power options of Widnows, there is a power option to turn off the monitor after x minutes of inactivity. (Turn off the display: x minutes)

If I am inactive in the session for a longer period than the remote screen power-down time of the monitor(s), then start using the remotte session again, the screen(s) "turn(s) on".

The point is that currently people may be processing payroll remotely or dealing with other confidential data and if they are inactive in the session for a time , then come back to the session, their work may be observed by others and remote LogMeIn users are not aware of this.

To simulate this:
On the hose computer, set the "Turn off the display" setting in the host power options to 2 minutes.
Minimize the session or otherwise don't touch it so that the keyboard and mouse in the session are not used for 3 minutes.

Now use the session. The monitor will turn on and your work could be observed by anyone passing by. This is a potiential security issue, so I thought I'd better let the community know.  This seems to be a Windows 10 only issue.
19 REPLIES
Active Contributor

Re: Problems with Blanking of the Host Screen During Remote Control (Windows 10)

Update:  Once again I was rememded that my work was being viewed by others.  5 months and no solution or fix.

New Contributor

Re: Problems with Blanking of the Host Screen During Remote Control (Windows 10)

I am running into this very issue also. We recently updated our systems to Windows 10.

After speaking to Tier I and Tier II support, their answer is that it is not something their dev team can fix. The explanation I received is that Windows 10 is overwriting the third-party setting (third party being LogMeIn client).

Moving forward, I believe the only workaround is to disable the screen timeout function in Win10, unless LogMeIn is somehow able to fix this.

Just for clarification to other readers, the screen timeout is a separate setting from screensaver timer.  From my testing, the screensaver setting was not overwriting the "blank screen" setting. The only time I ran into the issue of the blank screen failing on the remote host was when the screen timeout setting was set and the time elapsed. When I returned to my session, the "Blank Screen" setting was still highlighted like it is enabled, but it actually was not.  You can see everything on the remote system's screen.

New Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem well over a year since the original post. Perhaps the logmein people do not bother looking at the problems we are experiencing when posted in these forums? I can't believe that more people are not having the same problem.  I'm running Windows 10 on my home computer and logging in using my iPad and the screen is not blanking despite the fact that I installed the add on that supposedly blanks the screen when I was prompted to do so, and when I log in on my iPad it states that the screen in blanked but I'm staring right at the computer and it is not blanked!  

New Contributor

I was disturbed to figure this out as well.  But my problem is even worse.  The blanking option only works for single monitor workstations.  It does not work for any of my 2 monitor workstations.  It will say in the remote session that the monitors have been blanked, but they haven't at all.  We tested this with a laptop connecting to a desktop through local wifi, cellular, and across an outside vpn.  Didn't matter if power settings were set to never turn off the monitors,  if you have a dual monitor setup with Win10, logmein can't blank the screens at all.  This needs to be resolved sooner than later, otherwise I'll be moving away from LogMeIn and finding a solution that works correctly.  We have PCI-DSS compliances we must follow and we went with LogMeIn because it provided that layer of compliance, but now it doesn't.  

EF1
Active Contributor

LogMeIn - are you kidding?  This screen blank function does not work properly in various scenarios I have new monitors with DisplayPort connections to the computer.  I use dual montiors - well have to keep them both ON for logmein to allow me to use mulitple monitors remotely - else it goes to a lower resolution and only one monitor.  So need the ability to BLANK screen because have to leave monitors on.  Please don't give lame excuses, find a fix and implement it.

LogMeIn Contributor

I apologize for the delay in resolving the screen blanking functionality on Windows 10.  As soon as we have an resolution update, we will share this with the Community of users.

EF1
Active Contributor

The conern is Windows 10 has been out a very long time.  Is this being actively worked on.  It is a serious issue.  Some systems like mine require the monitors to stay on in order to have multiscreen functionality when remote.  But, the screens MUST be able to be blanked.  It is a genuine security issue.

New Contributor

Our office has been having this problem for at least 6 months now with Windows 10 computers (single and dual monitor Dell XPS computers).  We have contacted LogMeIn Support several times and they can't figure out the issue.  This doesn't seem to be a priority for LogMeIn for some reason even though it is a major security issue.  I can't use my LogMeIn to my office computer to perform work tasks because of this or have to turn my monitors off before I leave the office.  Very serious security problem - hopefully LogMeIn starts to take this seriously very soon!

EF1
Active Contributor

For those of us who have taken the time to report this issue there are many, many more who will not.  They just may simply choose another vendor.  Point is, this is not a mere inconvienience.  It is a MAJOR problem that needs attention ASAP.