cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
To help support our community and customers during the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19), LogMeIn is providing free Emergency Remote Work Kits for Health Care Providers, Educational Institutions, Municipalities, Non-Profit organizations, and current LogMeIn customers. For more information please visit https://www.gotomeeting.com/work-remote
Highlighted
New Contributor

Selecting Java / Flash / ActiveX in Free?

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a way to select which method LogMeIn Free should use when opening a remote desktop? I know that Java, Flash, ActiveX and HTML screenshots are supported but I have not found a way to affect which one gets selected. I know that the Pro version has a way to select this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Roger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Selecting Java / Flash / ActiveX in Free?

Figured it out.  Open the registry on the remote computer.  Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LogMeIn\V5\RemoteControl and change the ControlType string to either activex or java.  Reboot the PC and all will be good.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I see multiple threads asking this same question and no answer...where are all the LMI Support People?  I'd like to know how to do this in both LMI Free and Pro2.
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Figured it out.  Open the registry on the remote computer.  Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LogMeIn\V5\RemoteControl and change the ControlType string to either activex or java.  Reboot the PC and all will be good.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you!

As for where LMI Support is, I think the plan is to keep us floundering here in User to User support until we upgrade to Pro.

Roger

Highlighted
New Contributor

One small adjustment... you don't need to reboot the remote computer.

I did the registry edit, then closed Remote Control and Disconnected from the remote PC.

Reconnected, opened a new Remote Control session, and ActiveX was used.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

My registry key says "xpi".  What does that mean?

Should I switch to one of the others?

By the way, I'm one of the MANY users of LogMeInFree who's being kicked off the target PC all the time.  See /logmein/board/message?board.id=12&thread.id=18120

for some recent postings on this.  I wonder whether changing this registry key would help.  Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Any idea how to do this with a Mac? I've been frustrated with this for some time on my MacBook Pro connecting to one iMac and one Windows 7 computer. Sometimes it will come up in ActiveX and others it will start in Java but have a menu option to switch to ActiveX, but mostly it opens in Java with no option to change. It does give me the very cryptic Option "S" which doesn't change anything whether it's checked or not. I've tried manually removing the plugin and letting it reinstall to no avail.
Highlighted
New Contributor

All I see in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LogMeIn\V5\RemoteControl is (Standard) , AllowLoopback and ControlOptionsDefault.

What am i supposed to change here?
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I don't see ControlType (or anything like it) in the registry in Vista.

Does anyone know how to do this in Vista? 

Highlighted
New Contributor

If the registry entry doesn't exist (as in some of the later posts on this topic) - just create it - works absolutely fine!