cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Upgrade of LogMeIn client

Hello everyone.

In the latest version of LogMeIn, it seems that I'm only able to check for new updates but not apply them. When I use the option "Check for updates", you earlier got a prompt telling you that there was an update available, and you could then deploy the update remotely.

With the recent updates to LogMeIn, that option seems to have gone out the window. I can see in the status log in LMI that there are updates available, but I'm not able to apply the updates. I also did a test with a computer in my test lab with this upgrade process, and it seems that the "There is a new update available" notice is shown to interactive users, and not non interactive users, which the LogMeIn login is.

Is there any way to apply the upgrade remotely at all with the new version, or do I have to physically have to make it out to the computers in question? Some of the computers I administrate are quite the distance away, so making my way out there is not really an option.

Any pointers anyone? Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely Jostein Elvaker Haande 

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Upgrade of LogMeIn client

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your replies! I've verified that these two options work to do a remote upgrade to the new platform.

1) Log off the current user and log in again. This will give you the "Do you want to update LogMeIn?" option after log in.

2) Restart the computer and log in after reboot. This will also give you the above option after logging in.

It seems that the initial upgrade dialog window is only shown to interactive users, and this is confirmed by the status window, where the logs state the the option to upgrade will be shown to the interactive user. Now I find this rather annoying, and can't really understand why this would be the default.

But as long as I actually have a method to upgrade the LogMeIn platform remotely, I'm happy.

Again, thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

we had the same problem; it seems (by purpose?) that the update window disappears when you log in to remote control the machine. Even if you use the tray icon and check for updates through the menu, the ability to install new updates never comes up.

Workaround:

I found out that you can get around this on Windows XP by clicking on the Start -> Log Off -> Log off this user

This closes all programs and logs out of Windows XP.

If you immediately log in again, a LogMeIn update window is visible, and you should be able to click on the update button.

I don't know if it helps to restart the machine, but in our cases it was enough to just log out and in from Windows. Does anyone know if this is a bug or some kind of nag for us LogMeIn Free users?

Message Edited by hlynbech on 09-08-2009 03:59 PM
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I was having the problem with the upgrade message disapearing when I was trying to login to remote kiosks. loging out then back in allowed me to click the upgrade button. I would be disconnected but after 2 minutes I could log back in and finish it. After the upgrade under the advanced menu is a new option to automaticly install updates.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I've had this also today on 8 clients, part Free and part Pro2. They were all domain computers and for previous updates they allowed the user to click update and LMI would do the deed. Now I'm having to login as Administrator for the updates take place.

Also, had several updates uninstall the current client and the quit...leaving me without any connection. Luckily they were only 10 minutes from me....but got clue why this occurred?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I figure that in order to update the logmein software, the connection has to be disconnected for a short amount of time. I was also disconnected each time I updated the logmein software, but I was able to reconnect in a matter of 10 seconds or so.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your replies! I've verified that these two options work to do a remote upgrade to the new platform.

1) Log off the current user and log in again. This will give you the "Do you want to update LogMeIn?" option after log in.

2) Restart the computer and log in after reboot. This will also give you the above option after logging in.

It seems that the initial upgrade dialog window is only shown to interactive users, and this is confirmed by the status window, where the logs state the the option to upgrade will be shown to the interactive user. Now I find this rather annoying, and can't really understand why this would be the default.

But as long as I actually have a method to upgrade the LogMeIn platform remotely, I'm happy.

Again, thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

You're right on the disconnect. The update stops the LMI service during the upgrade and then restarts it upon completion..reason for the minute or two disconnectSmiley Surprised

Highlighted
Active Contributor

I was able to successfully update LMI manually and remotely. I logged into my computer, and went to the tray. Open LMI and go to about. There is a button to check for updates. It told me there were no updates because it was already upgraded before I had a chance to go in there.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have most of mine set to do updates automatically and install when LMI is idle. They backfired on me yesterday, when 4 of them tried to update to the 4.0.966.

It ran through the uninstall and never completed the update...leaving me with having to go onsite and re-install manually.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have been suffering this issue also on Free XP machines. Unfortunately no 2 machines are acting the same. te main issue is after rebooting some machines just hang and hang. Ie blank desktop. start Task Mgr and you ge frame with no content. Only recourse i have  had is do restores. Am in middle of a few and will let you all knwo what happens after that. IF anyone else has suggestions please let me know. BUT essentially this is sucking BIG time. And the people I support are not happy either.

mrvinyl