cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

How to remove LogMeInRescue from a Mac

The following information was very, very hard to find online. And it didn't come from LogMeIn. So I'm writing in the hopes that someone else who had LogMeInRescue auto-installed on ones Mac and then spent hours trying to remove it, will find this post and know how to get LogMeInRescue deleted out of the Mac. 

As of February, 2013, running both Lion and Mountain Lion (10.8.2), LogMeInRescue will no longer install in Applications, nor show up in Spotlight. It is also not in in Login Items in System Preferences. It no longer has an uninstaller, and will automatically open up at every fresh startup, even when you quit the application.

Here's how to locate the file and delete it : 

1. In Finder, hit Command-F, to open up a deeper version of Spotlight (do not use Spotlight in the upper right corner)
2. In the Search criteria near the top, select "System files" and "ARE included." 
3. In the Search field, type LogMeIn (Or the full LogMeInRescue, but it's best to find anything associated with this thing)
4. A hidden file will appear in the results field, revealing the following path:

Main Drive: private: var: tmp

5. The files associated with LogMeIn can be found in this tmp folder. Drag them to the trash, empty the trash, then restart the Mac. The LogMeInRescue will now be gone. 

I'm no software writer. But as a heavy Mac user for over 20 years, I've never seen an application that was this difficult to locate and remove from my Mac. 

At the very least, this information should be located on a prominent place on the LogMeIn site. It should also be given to all LogMeIn tech people, so they know this above process for removing it from their clients' Macs once they're done. 

Scott
owner, Brain Toniq
Boulder, CO

12 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: How to remove LogMeInRescue from a Mac

I ty so much for your information and the time you spend on reporting it to others. 

I had several problemas with sound on un softphone app caled jitsi. Others could hear me But I couldnt hear them.

I am a Mac user for 6 years  and I already found some apps very dificult to remove

Problem solved ! ty again

Laura

New Contributor

Scott:

I'm using Mountain Lion. I can't seem to select "System Files" and "ARE" near the top. Can you give me a little more info on how to get this?

ANy help would be appreciated.

PZ

New Contributor

In the aforementioned advanced Spotlight choose "Other" in the "Kind", it will open a list of options and scroll down to "System Files". I chose to check the box at the right so it will come up as an option in the future. Now you can choose on the right the "are included".

Thanks to the OP for this tip, it was bugging the hell out of me!

New Contributor

Thank you indeed!

It's incredible that they hide the code so you can't uninstall it.

I'll just add that in order to get the "System files" are included you can press the dropdow that says "Kind" and select "other" then search for "System Files".

Now "System Files" should be selected and you can change the next dropdown to "ARE included".

TIP: Don't delete everything as some files can be for other programs/services. You can see in which folder they are at the bottom of the window.

New Contributor

Wow! Thanks so much! I have been digging like a miner through this mac trying to delete this app, and could NOT find it until I read this tip!! I had no idea that entire menu was there!!!

Big thanks!! And major thanks to the OP as well for the tips and instructions!

New Contributor

Wow, this is downright sneaky of them.  Not cool, LogMeIn.  Not cool.  

New Contributor

Thank. You are definitely right, I have never encountered a program so intrusive and arduous to remove from OSX. I appreciate your write up.

New Contributor

Type this in Terminal :

cd /var/tmp/

ls -a

now you should see the application (Logme … something … .app )

you can remove it with :

rm -rf {name.of.the.app}

(to write the app name fast and correctly you can type the first two or three characters and press the tab key)

i have no idea who had this strange idea to install this app there.  really weird!

New Contributor

It seems to me that this could qualify it as malware......

I only installed it because a vendor I use needed to troubleshoot their product.   I will *never* allow this product to *ever* be installed on any system I own or administrate.