cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

LogMeIn Scam

I received a call from someone from "Windows Support" telling me they've been receiving "error messages" from my computer – obvious scam to me, a software engineer, but I played along. He had me open the Windows Event Viewer (well, I was on a Mac, so I pretended) and showed me all the meaningless warnings that were "worse than viruses" then had me to go support.me and enter in a six digit code. I terminated it there -- but he was obviously going to be using LogMeIn to take over my computer. 

This is not a new problem, and it's incredibly troubling to me that LogMeIn ignores their responsibility in putting an end to this. The support.me page needs to have a big red warning message about scam calls. I've found posts about LogMeIn being used specifically for this purpose for at least five years now, and I found a blog post from almost three years ago demanding that LogMeIn put such a warning message online.

There are other posts in the forums that seem to have been locked down. Why are you doing this to users, LogMeIn? If scammers are basing the entirety of their attacks on your software – and you can easily and trivially put an end to it through user messaging - you have a moral oblgiation to do so. 

By not adding the message, despite the obvious need for it, it makes me wonder if LogMeIn is actually profiting off scammers, and then further profiting off victims needing legitimate technical support. Whatever the case, it's time to be a good citizen of the internet, LogMeIn. Add a meaningful warning message. Now.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Re: LogMeIn Scam

Hi @tonywebster, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Our Tech Support team would like to speak with you directly. Please private message me your LogMeIn ID so they can reach out to you.
Sincerely,
Lisa Kate
Community Manager
Lisa_K8 is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! I've read reports on this particular scam, too, and it's a good thing that you guys share it so we know.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hey, I found different phone numbers reportedly used by scam artists to perpetrate this scheme and they're shared at Callercenter.com.

855-847-1972
209-753-4552

You should check on the posts, too. The caller purportedly used identified themselves as affiliated with logmein to trick people.
Highlighted
New Contributor

I'm new here, so I am not sure if this is a scam or not. Earlier today, somebody from Windows Support called me regarding the issues with my laptop. They took me through to the LogMeIn Rescue site, and showed me how many errors there are with my laptop. I know that my laptop has problems and programs that are causing problems on my laptop. I postponed the call to tomorrow morning. On the event viewer, I could see that my laptop had many many errors. I am not sure whether this is a scam or not. He told me to fill out a form including credit card details, and that it would cost ten pounds to fix my laptop. They will call back tomorrow, so should I continue or is this a scam?
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Yes diontd, that is the exact script of the scam. They show you errors and warnings in Windows Event Viewer, which is a very verbose system log; most things listed there are totally normal. But that convinces you to trust them, doesn't it? The concerning part is that you gave them control of your computer. They could have installed malware in a matter of seconds without you knowing it – malware that could include a keylogger, adware, etc. Whatever you do, do not proceed with them and do not pay them. There is no such thing as a “Windows Support” department that makes outbound unsolicited calls.

LogMeIn: Shame on you for making me explain this – this is your job. This is yet another incident where your failure to put a warning message about trusting unsolicited calls has jeopardized someone's online security. You, LogMeIn, are directly responsible for this. The only common denominator in all of these scams is LogMeIn and you have the power to put an end to it with simple user messaging. To not do so is not only unethical, it makes me question your motives. Do better.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Can they still get control of my laptop again because they have already gained control once? Also, I have got the six digit code that they used, and I know the number that they called me with, so should I check with logmein about the number
Highlighted
Active Contributor

I can't tell you if they can get control of your computer again – they can't via LogMeIn unless you start a new session, but they might have installed software to let them remotely takeover your computer. I'd suggest doing malware checks with reputable software (e.g. Malwarebytes) or finding a local store.

You should report the date, time, and six digit LogMeIn code to LogMeIn so they can suspend the account. Of course, they have many accounts and can just start another – as they've been doing for years under LogMeIn's watch and consent.

Highlighted
Retired LogMeIn Contributor

@tonywebster Thank you for helping @diontd out. 

@diontd Please report the details of the abuse, including the 6 digit pin they used, here: https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/ReportAbuse.aspx

Nearly all similar reports are related to trial accounts, which makes them the hardest to police, and so we display warings. For activity on customer accounts, we can and do ban customers for malicious use.

Sincerely,

Lisa Kate

Community Manager

Lisa_K8 is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Highlighted
Active Contributor

@Lisa_K8 For others unaware of your reference, LogMeIn only displays warnings – a very soft and confusing one at that – if a scammer is using a trial account. Respectfully, just because a scammer uses a trial account does not relieve LogMeIn of any responsibility. There should be checks during that process. These calls are obviously coming from a call center by the background noises, and presumably have IP addresses within IP blocks known to LogMeIn – IP blocks that should be blacklisted or given additional steps to sign up. That said, I've seen numerous videos showing that the scammer is NOT using a trial account. In my situation, the scammer (247itechsolution LLC) was NOT using a trial account. I did already report that to LogMeIn's abuse team and provide you a screenshot documenting that it was not a trial account, but LogMeIn has taken no action to add any further consumer warnings or protections.

I would bet tens of thousands of computers, at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more, has been lost collectively for as many years as this scam has been running with LogMeIn's non-action, blessing, and consent. Honestly, I'm incredibly confused as to why LogMeIn has been so resistant to do this, and I have to assume it's because LogMeIn is profiting from these scammers. LogMeIn's products are great, so there's no question that you have the technical talent to institute stronger controls and checks to ensure the safety of all users of technology being put at risk through your products.

This is something that I will not drop, and I will be reaching out to the Federal Trade Commission, several state Attorneys General, my senator, and tech news sites until LogMeIn ceases its reckless behavior and adds a clear, convincing, and meaningful warning about (a) what the product does; (b) the access being given by entering a PIN number and running LogMeIn software; and (c) a warning specifically about unsolicited support calls – these warnings should be on the PIN entry page and on the software itself, and not hidden behind 'How It Works' buttons that you have to click to see. 

Please be good citizens of the internet and convince us all that you're committed to ending this massive scam that your services facilitate. Thank you.