cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

As regular Administrator how to apply permissions to subgroup

Let's say I am just an administrator and I have technician group A -> technician group B -> technician group C with A being the top technician group and group B under A and C under B. All have technicians assign to them. I tried setting a permission in group A and I found that B and C didn't inherit those permissions nor did it silently inherit permission. I had to enable the permission I wanted on each group to get the LogMeIn console (with technician login in each group) to reflect those changes. If subgroups don't inherit settings is there at least a way to apply settings to subgroups?

3 REPLIES 3
New Contributor

Re: As regular Administrator how to apply permissions to subgroup

Something to add: I see that there is a button apply settings in the Settings tab to all subgroups, but this button is not available for permissions in the Organization tab.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@0000000000 sorry for the delay in response. 

I checked with the team, and in the organization tab there is no way to apply to subgroups. You would need to configure each one individually. 

The decision was made to not have a quick "apply all" because it will overwrite immediately and then there is no going back. This minimizes the risk. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
New Contributor

@KateGIt wouldn't be just a quick apply to all, it would be a two step process like it is in the settings tab. You apply to the group (apply to subgroup is greyed out) and then you apply to the subgroups. I mean if it's such a worry about no going back why isn't the same fear applied to the settings tab where you can make that mistake (after first saving for the parent group)? But as a side tangent, I would say it would be a good idea to have the ability to roll back a change to a subgroup.

EDIT: But besides that it's ridiculous there is no ability to do this. Because each sub group is actually its own group I now have to have a spreadsheet and keep track of all the permissions and have my team and I remember to update it whenever we make a change so that people in a subgroup all don't have or do have a permission management requests. Additionally there's conflicting workflows being encouraged here. There's this whole parent group/child group paradigm I feel is being marketed and going on with the user tree and the settings tab tries to accommodate that and then I set up all my groups in a parent child relationship to make it easy to apply settings and then it turns out there's this permission tab that acts completely different from the way the rest of the site is trying to present itself.