cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gracie
New Contributor

LastPass for Windows Desktop - why is it so braindead?

There has to be some discussion of this somewhere, but I didn't find it when I searched in here.

One of the big reasons to LEAVE Dashlane is they've made their desktop app useless.  Is LastPass doing the same thing?

It's annoying to have to go to a browser, or WORSE, to have to open one, every time I want a piece of information that's in LastPass, so I put the LastPass desktop app on.  Is there a version somewhere that's actually functional?   That has actual settings, and can do exports, and can change the display to sort by name or by folder?

Does the real desktop version have to be gotten somewhere other than the Microsoft store?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Gracie
New Contributor

HOW do I MAKE the Windows store actually INSTALL the desktop version?

I have 2 users and 1 vault.  I'm at a second desktop attempting to FORCE the Windows store to actually install the LastPass Windows DESKTOP version so there DOESN'T have to be a browser open 100% of the time.

The store SAYS it downloaded it.  And offers to INSTALL.  After which it churns for a while then provides this incredibly useful error message :  "ERROR".  In the details, it gives even MORE information:  Code: 0x80073CF3

So I looked THAT up.  And found some gibberish about opening powershell and running a command:

1.Open Windows PowerShell as administrator. To do this, right click on the start button and click on 'Windows Shell (admin)'
2. To reinstall the Microsoft Store app, enter the following command (you can copy and paste:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register '$ ($ _. InstallLocation) \\ AppXManifest.xml'}

A whole bunch of lines scroll by, each appearing to be an error.

HOW DO I GET THE DESKTOP VERSION OF LASTPASS ON THIS SYSTEM?

RachelO
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: LastPass for Windows Desktop - why is it so braindead?

Hello,

You could try uninstalling the LastPass desktop app that you currently have installed, then installing the LastPass for Windows Desktop app from this page? https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php

(You would want to download the LastPass Universal Windows Installer to install the LastPass for Windows Desktop app)

This is the newest version of the app, although it doesn't allow exporting (as this is only able to be done through the web browser extension following these steps) or sorting by name/folder. I have passed this feedback along to our development team to request consideration in adding these updates to the Windows desktop app as well.

RachelO is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudos!
Gracie
New Contributor

RachelO, I know you're trying to help, but long before I put an entry in here I've already done all the reasonable things like trying every installer I can find.  This time doing what you told I ended up with:

Capture1.JPGCapture.JPG

every time I attempted to STOP the installer from adding LastPass to ANY BROWSER. 

AND, after allowing it to INSTALL EVERYTHING, I NOW HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO (NO) desktop LastPass, so I'm far WORSE off than I WAS.  On top of that, I have have TWO DOZEN items in the vault that are NO LONGER IN THE FOLDERS IN WHICH THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY PLACED.

So, do you have anything that will ACTUALLY WORK to get me a properly functional LastPass with a REASONABLY WORKING WINDOWS DESKTOP and EVERYTHING  BACK WHERE IT WAS BEFORE I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS IN HERE?

jpenny84
Valued Contributor

Skip the universal installer and simply download the desktop application from the Microsoft Store.

Gracie
New Contributor

I've tried it with the installer.  I've tried it directly from the Store.  The result is the same because it ALWAYS ends up trying to install from the Microsoft Store.

It says "Installing", churns a few seconds then says "Error" - it's always nice to have a complete, useful error message.

When you press Details so you can get the complete information about the error - and, HOPEFULLY, the FIX, you get:  Code: 0x80073CF3

In the Store...  Selected Lastpass.  Going to Install.  Press the blue button.

Capture.JPG

Churns for a minute, then says - "Error"

Capture1.JPG

Press "See Details", and voila, all becomes clear!

Capture2.JPG

THREE systems, all running Windows 10, all work perfectly, NONE will install the LastPass desktop.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @Gracie 

This appears to be a Microsoft Store issue, I have found a number of posts online from Windows users getting this error when they try to install something from the Store.  Some of the reasons and solutions given for this error are a little elaborate, I would start with these to uninstall the software that may have install unsuccessfully:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account on your Windows 10 device.
  2. Select the Start button  in the lower-left corner of the main screen.
  3. Select Settings > Apps >Apps & features.
  4. Locate and select the software you want to uninstall from the list, and then select Uninstall two times.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Gracie
New Contributor

Yes, there have been a number.  And I've wasted a bunch of time trying those ideas.  And STILL have NO WORKING DESKTOP app on ANY of these systems. 

So, NO, I'm not going in and blindly uninstalling working software on this system, trying to guess what's causing the your desktop app not to install.  You're going to have to be a lot more specific about WHICH piece of software needs to be uninstalled.