cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Left Ctrl+F in browsers stops working after logging into LastPass for Windows app

I noticed recently that the keyboard combo Left Ctrl+F stops working in Chrome, FF, IE and Edge after logging into LastPass for Windows.  Is anyone else having this problem and has anyone found a fix for it?

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Left Ctrl+F in browsers stops working after logging into LastPass for Windows app

It's not just browsers. It's Notepad++ too. You can search google and look at their cache to see this was reported 

• Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:26 pm
  • Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 am
  • Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 am

Yet when you search for those posts on this site or use the saved links, they're gone.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Left Ctrl+F in browsers stops working after logging into LastPass for Windows app

The old Phpbb support forum that existed for over a decade was just shut down today. It will take some time for search engines to quit generating search results that link back to it.

They did migrate a chunk of old topics over to the new platform. You can use the search bar at the top to try and find what you're looking for.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I did some investigation and a task called BackgroundProcess.exe apparently gets started by LastPass to hook a keybinding for application fill, which seems to take over Left Ctrl+F. There's no setting or option I can find in the LastPass Windows app to change or disable this. It also seems to block Left Ctrl+D.

My temporary solution is to create a scheduled task that runs the following PowerShell script every few minutes:

$procs = Get-Process BackgroundProcess;
foreach ($proc in $procs) {
    $info = Get-Process -Id:$proc.Id -FileVersionInfo;
    if ($info.FileName -imatch "LastPass") {
        Write-Host "Found $($proc.Id). Killing task...";
        Stop-Process -Id:$proc.Id;
    }
}

That finds all tasks named "BackgroundProcess", filters it to ones with "LastPass" in the path, and just kills the process.

The fact LastPass takes over Ctrl+F is infuriating.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

A ticket has been created for this issue and submitted to the team.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Same issue - thanks for the follow up.
Highlighted
New Contributor

This isn't just limited to Ctrl+F ... This will also affects Ctrl+D randomly. Incredibly frustrating when playing a game and not being able to do Ctrl+D.... This Windows app needs a fix asap.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Right, they removed my post about this.  That's pretty sleezy.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Your complaint was posted in the old forum on August 25th. The cutoff for posts that were migrated over to the new discussion platform was early August.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I can't believe you'd push out an update that stops one of the most useful key combinations from working, across the entire operating system. It doesn't work in Chrome, Word, Dreamweaver, Explorer - nothing. 

Amateur hour.