Forum Discussion

ronamazon01
New Contributor
5 months ago

Dual monitor does not work. Using a macbook to connect to a PC host computer.

I'm trying to use two monitors  (my macbook and an external monitor) but it would only mirrors my macbook on the external monitor. The host computer is a PC. Is it possible to extend the monitor instead of mirroring the macbook? 

KateG
    GoTo Moderator

Hi ronamazon01 welcome to the GoTo Community, 

If you would like to extend the screen across two monitors you can do this in the Mac settings. Here's an article that shows you how. 

ronamazon01
      New Contributor

Hi Kate,

I've tried that via my macbook setting. However, the problem seems to be at GOTOMYPC application, which it does not allow me to extend it to external monitor.  I can only mirror what's on my macbook. 

Thanks!

ronamazon01
      New Contributor
      In addition, its able to detect the external monitor but through gotomypc, it can only choose monitor 1 or 2 as display. It cannot show both monitors at the same time. So I believe its a problem with gotomypc.
        KateG
        GoTo Moderator

Hi ronamazon01

My colleague tested your set-up both ways and was able to get it to expand by adjusting the zoom level used by the viewer, having it in windowed mode, and stretching across the screens.

If it's mirroring the main Mac screen, then it's coming from the Mac and you would need to make 
        sure it's set to extend on his desktop settings.

Depending on the differences in screen resolutions between the Mac+external screen vs PC+2nd monitor, you will  have to adjust viewer zoom settings and stretch the GoToMyPC viewer window to see both at the same time.

Note, if you are connecting to two screens, once you connect to the PC host over GoToMyPC it will default to showing the main screen of the PC but it will scroll to the 2nd screen if you move your mouse to the edge of the window, like in this video.