Forum Discussion

fenke
New Contributor
4 years ago

Android VPN setup

Hello,

Trying to get a VPN connection working on Android.
The support article on Setting up an Android device as a Hamachi mobile client - LogMeIn Central Support (logmeininc.com) does not quite match the Android dialogue to setup a VPN connection.

First of, it is not clear which certificate goes where - there are 3.

Then, why are there additional user/password credentials requested on the dialogue and which should go there.

Which IPSEC should I choose?

And then I am supposed to enter a server address? What goes there? :: Found this one

EstebanR
    New Contributor

There is no connection option to set PPTP server type and also no IPsec Xauth RSA for my VPN profile on SAMSUNG GALAXY S 23, what can I do?

bakgraag
      New Contributor
      Because of that I implemented OpenVPN server on my Windows 10 PC on which I run IOBroker for home automation. OpenVPN cliënt for Android works fine with that.
  • After Android 12 and higher, VPN type PPTP or IPSEC is not available.  My cellphone (Samsung Galaxy s21+)  has only tree types  IKEv2/IPSec MSCHAPv2, IKEv2/IPSec PSK and IKEv2/IPSec RSA. None configuration works and Hamachi profiles preview Androig config sample is not correct . When Hamachi will correct this problem?

Piersqsw
    New Contributor

An option you might want to consider is using a different VPN service that is specifically designed for Android devices.

bakgraag
      New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.
      I want to use the VPN to connect to my Home Automation running on Windows and therefore the Hamachi gateway client is also running there.

An option I want to explore is implementing an OpenVPN server on my Windows system.

Concerning Hamachi I temporary solved the problem by using an old Android smartphone which still supports IPSec Xauth RSA and so it works as a Hamachi remote client.
      I can connect by using my new(er) Android smartphone as a hotspot.      

imagex

Dear GlennD,
      Will there be a way to connect clients with Android version 12 or higher with IKEv2/IPSec...
      Do you know if the HAMACHI technicians are working on it?
      This is important. All cell phones and tablets are already working on these versions

Thank you so much

GlennD
        GoTo Manager

Hi imagex, currently there is no news of an update for Android v12 or higher. If that changes I will update the community to let you know.

Greg71

Hi GlennD,

I have a cunning idea - Hamachi could be updated to support android 12 and 13, so that in a couple of years time it is still relevant and all the wonderful employees still have jobs. (it has been 6 months and it still doesn't work)

Cheers

Greg

paedes
    New Contributor

I've got the same problem.

Installed the *.pfx as a VPN-Certificate

HamachiRootCA.crt as CA-Certificate

HamachiIntCA.crt as CA-Certificate

VPN-Settings i did like this:
    Type: IKEv2/IPSec RSA

Serveradress: m.hamachi.cc (I also tried my.hamachi.cc)

IPSec-ID: (Cannot be unfilled so I chose my user-ID from Hamachi XXX-XXX-XXX)

IPSec-User-certificate: The previosly installed from .pfx

IPSec-CA-Certificate: (from Server / I also tried both of the Hamachi CA-Certificates)

IPSec-Server-Certificate: (from Server / I also tried the installed from .pfx)

Unfortunately I cannot establish a connection to hamachi.

Could someone post Settings that work for Android 12?

Greets paede 

bakgraag
      New Contributor

I've got the same problem as paedes, tried several settings.

Not clear what to fill in in Android 12 VPN settings for IPSEC connection.
      I would suspect in the meantime someone could answer this question.
      So can someone please post what settings to apply.

Grtz