cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pl2024
New Contributor

how to tell if someone is logged in on shared computer?

there is a shared computer multiple users at different cities login to from time to time daily. currently logmein is set up so that when someone new logs in, the user currently on is kicked out.

Is there a way to tell if someone is logged it? Is there a better way to handle such situation so the existing user does not get kicked off? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: how to tell if someone is logged in on shared computer?

Hi @pl2024, welcome to the community.

If you click on the information icon to the right of the computer name it will show In Session as the status. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @pl2024, welcome to the community.

If you click on the information icon to the right of the computer name it will show In Session as the status. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
pl2024
New Contributor

thanks, GlennD!

CDUCC
Active Contributor

>"If you click on the information icon to the right of the computer name it will show In Session as the status. "

That's okay, but the screen icon being green already tells us that, without needing to click on the information icon. How about adding the name or email of the person that is currently "In Session"?

pl2024
New Contributor

I do notice however that this status does not auto refresh - I have to kill LogMeIn and restart it for it to refresh this status. Is there a better way to refresh this status automatically or at the click of a button? Thanks

KateG
GoTo Moderator

HI @pl2024 ,

You will still see the "In Session" status if a remote session has recently ended, but it should eventually refresh. Is it possible the session recently ended? 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
pl2024
New Contributor

Hi KateG. thank you for your reply. It's quite hard for me to be very sure as many people can access the terminal via logmein and some are a couple of time zones away.

The main reason I surmise the terminal has been inactive despite showing "in session" is that I kept checking by killing logmein and restarting it and it kept showing in session but then when I finally login the main app that people use and has a timed auto logoff is not signed in. It's just impractical to email a whole bunch of people to ask if they are on. 

Logmein does show "online since" but that seems to reflect when the machine was last rebooted. I just wish it showed when was last activity.

CDUCC
Active Contributor

You may be better off going to the Dashboard (by clicking on the little house icon in Ignition, aka LogMeIn Client), and checking near the top of the "Dashboard" panel for something like one of the following:

• "The host computer keyboard and mouse are currently active"
  • "The host computer keyboard and mouse have been inactive for 5 minutes"
  • "The host computer keyboard and mouse have been inactive for 2 hours"

This is how I determine if I can safely remote into a computer, without disconnecting someone else.

BTW, I've found that it will show "...currently active" until it has been idle at least 5 minutes. I've never seen it say anything less than 5 minutes. That's good so there's a small buffer between user sessions.

pl2024
New Contributor

thanks, CDUCC, for the suggestion. 

I just tried the dashboard but I also find it to be unreliable for 2 reasons

1) everytime I check it, it keeps saying "The host computer keyboard and mouse are currently active. Initiate chat with user » " But that I think is me. When I click on the house icon, it asks me to login. I'm thinking that login triggers this result.

2) In the pane bottom right showing "most recent accesses", that is also unreliable. The first time I looked at it today, it only showed that I tried to login based on the IP address shown. However clearly on a couple time today when I got on someone's opened apps & work were on the screen despite that pane not showing anyone being logged in.

any further help would be appreciated. thanks

Patrick.

CDUCC
Active Contributor

Hi pl2024,

1) In my experience, the top of the Dashboard has been very reliable, as long as you haven't used "Remote Control" in the last 5-10 minutes. Once you've done that, then yes, it will say it's active if you moved the mouse while in a remote session.

2) The "Most Recent Accesses" panel will always have at least one listing -- your own -- plus any other recent connections.

Carl