cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
litwildp

WEBM files for GTM recordings

I was extremely disappointed that the "new and improved" GoToMeeting platform did not keep the option to save the recording as a WMV file.  This was a bone-headed oversite.  I prefer to have WMV files saved on a corporate drive which also makes it easier to share with others.  I urge you to give the GoToMeeting users the option to save the recordings as a WMV file (like the original GTM platform).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Useful and essential Gotomeeting features missing in GoTo APP.

Hi @chucklemaker, welcome to the community.

We are still investigating an option for converting to MP4 (there are codec licensing and technical requirements to work though). The new WEBM files that are created when you record locally can be opened and played directly in any modern web browser without being converted, but if you need the recording in another format here are the steps:

This guide will detail how to use VLC Player (a free and highly regarded media player), to convert your WebM files.

1. Download and install VLC Player from their website
  2. Open VLC Player and click on Media on the toolbar at the top
  3. Select Convert/Save from the menu
  4. In the new window that opens select the  +Add button displayed on the File Tab
  5. Locate the WebM file(s) in your Documents folder (where they are saved by the GoTo App by default)
  6. Once you have selected the files to convert click the Convert/Save button
  7. To make VLC convert .webm to .mp4, select "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)" in the drop-down list of format profile. Also, you're able to convert .webm to other formats and devices.
  8. Select the Destination location for where the new files will be saved
  9. Finally, click the Start button to begin the conversion process

Handbrake is another free well known video converter that can be used. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: WEBM files for GTM recordings

Hi @litwildp, welcome to the community.

Sorry for any frustration, we will be adding a conversion tool to the GoTo App so that recording can be converted to another format just like GoToMeeting Classic does. Currently, I am not sure if WMV will be supported or if it will only convert to MP4. I will research that and let you know.

plapine

File type for downloading recordings

I finally got the recording features working properly but when I downloaded a recording to save in OneDrive for future training it was unrecognized as a video format.  GoTo uses the .mp4 extension and it will only start to work properly and without prompts for a program if you change the extension to .wmv.  The customer support rep was the one that thought it already was .wmv.  

If this is the only thing that makes it works seamlessly why the .mp4 extension.  Please change the default to .wmv.  

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: File type for downloading recordings

@plapine welcome to the Community. Thanks for your feedback. I moved your post to this thread as it's a similar conversation. We anticipate updates to the default in early 2023 and will alert this thread when we here more. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

ADS310

Hi, 

Where do we download the meeting file converter for the new Goto Meeting App? We prefer not to use WEBM file type.   

TIA

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@ADS310 welcome to the community. A conversion tool will be coming to the new app experience. We will update this thread as soon as it's available. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Gotomeetinguser
Active Contributor

Useful and essential Gotomeeting features missing in GoTo APP.

1) We purchased gotomeeting as it supports its classic video recording format called g2m and then converts them into either WMV/MP4 based on our need. now that support is completely removed in new app and replaced with webm format which generate huge file sizes and and also they can't be converted into wmv file format without using paid third party apps. If this feature is not available, we can use other meeting apps on market and no specific requirement to continue to use gotomeeting.

2) They even have removed the options to perform basic settings like where the videos/chat etc need to be stored on the machine. it gets stored in c:Documents and there is no way to change that.

3) As customers we must be given option to use classic gotomeeting desktop application instead of new GoTo app as we exclusively purchased gotomeeting only for the above features. it's a shame that existing features being removed in the midway after the purchase without customers knowing in advance about this. This jolted our ongoing business operations and we are in dilemma of what to do about this. can we ask for money back for removing the features that we paid for?

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @Gotomeetinguser, welcome to the community.

All GoToMeeting customers who were previously using the GoToMeeting Classic experience still have the option to switch back to it from the new GoTo App, for the time being. In the GoTo App click on your profile in the top right corner and select Settings > Meetings > General

Gotomeetinguser
Active Contributor

When we use the classic app now, the moment we share the screen, my windows 10 is crashing and going for a reboot... Already happened 7 to 8 times on my PC.

GeoCollege
Active Contributor

I am using the desktop version (local recordings that included the conversion reminder at the end of the meeting.     Our initial meetings with the new version left us struggling to search for alternate methods of converting the webx files into mp4 files, and recently we had a meeting in which the entire recording was lost. 

I seem to recall that I received a message that I could no longer use the original version and had to migrate to the new "GoTo".  From this thread I see I can switch back and have done so. 

This is a poor method of letting the clients know.   We have been using GoTo Meeting since 2020, and migrated from another  platform.  Was seriously considering leaving until seeing this thread.   

Now after holding a meeting with the Classic, there is a "Heads-Up" that we will not be able to have :  Reactions, Breakout Rooms, Flexible Layout (for organizers), Miro whiteboard, or end to end encrypted meetings.   

If given the choice of losing entire meetings without a recording or adding a few features, I think I will stay with the Classic.  Please stop breaking what is working well, in an attempt to "fix" it.