cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenklabeltraxx
Active Contributor

Can't type characters requiring the shift key on some remote sessions

I am using GTR Desktop Console 1.61.95 on Mac 12.6.3. When I connect to some unattended machines, different Windows OS's, 10, 11, 2012r2, 2016, 2019, 2022 - I can't type uppercase or special characters requiring the shift key. I try switching preferences between local and remote keyboard settings, but that doesn't make a difference. 

13 REPLIES 13
jaggrey
Active Contributor

Random Characters are not sent

I'm having the random issue where when typing in a password at an elevated prompt, characters where I need to hit the Shift key are not inputted.  I've only seen this behavior when typing in my admin password on a user's machine that does not have admin access.  I have not tested inputting the characters in general when not at a prompt.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Random Characters are not sent

Hi @jaggrey welcome to the GoTo Community. I'd like to try and replicate your experience. Can you let me know the OS you are using? 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
jaggrey
Active Contributor

Hey KateG!  These are all Windows 10 or Windows 11 machines.

550c
Active Contributor

Re: Can't type characters requiring the shift key on some remote sessions

Same issue for me. I cant enter passwords because the screen will change focus when entering a special character

550c
Active Contributor

I have the same issue

GlennD
GoTo Manager

I have combined these posts as they seem to be the same issue. 

@550c can you please provide some more details about what you are experiencing? 

• Is this happening with specific characters, if yes which ones?
  • Are you entering the characters in an application window or a browser window, does it make a difference?
  • When the screen changes focus, what does it change focus to? (maybe a hotkey combination is being triggered) 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

SBrown42
Active Contributor

We have been having a similar issue for several months, though it is not consistent or every time.  We have found that it happens mostoften with the shriek (! character), but also with the £ symbol. 

With the password that comes to mind it is isn't the first character in the password and all of the preceeding characters are accepted ok (and are shown on the screen as the * character).  Clicking back on the session and then the password box changes the focus back, but it is annoying enough to cause several expletives in the office!

DustyD
Active Contributor

This issue I first noticed yesterday, could not type an upper case character or symbol to save me!

Today I switched keyboards thinking it was a stuck key, but same thing. Then I discovered it's only the right-hand shift key not working in the remote session; the left works fine for both caps and symbols.

Remote devices: affecting both W10 and W11 Pro

GoToRemote version 1.11.0.2369

My system is 

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎7/‎2023
OS build 22621.2283
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22662.1000.0

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @DustyD,

When you press either of the Shift keys did you see this displayed at the bottom of the screen? If you open Notepad or Word in session and just type is the right Shift key still being ignored?

I'm running some tests, Windows 11 to Windows 10 Unattended first in the browser and then using the Desktop Console. So far both Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys are registering correctly when I type in a Word doc.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.