cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Re: "Reboot in safe mode" doesn't always reconnect under Windows 10

Hi Fred, that sounds like the PC is failing to fully restart then. In my experience, even with a Windows 10 PC on a wired LAN it can take a moment for the connection to reestablish, but it displays the login screen while this is happening. 
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Fred Marshall
Contributor

It does not display the login screen to ME.  It displays it on the local monitor.  It's not "headless" but it's normally unoccupied.  After I wait and wait, I have to call and have someone reboot the computer.  Then I can start a new session.  
So, from my vantage point, it doesn't "display the login screen".  
It's not a matter of waiting because I'm very patient on that score.
If I do become a bit impatient then I try to start a new session but this target computer is not showing that it's on line.  So there's nothing that I can do to spoil things THAT way.  😞
Once more, I don't believe this behavior is consistent.  I believe that sometimes it works.
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi Fred & company,
I think it best that we grab log files from these problem Windows 10 devices, should the issue recur again for your client.  We don't have any known issues that completely fit your scenarios on any of the newer Remote Support builds.  Would anyone affected be able to call our support staff at their convenience to create full documentation for these scenarios?

Worldwide support phone options:  https://support.logmeininc.com/gotoassist-remotesupport/contactus

Kaz111
Active Contributor

Using the GTAE Expert program on a Win 8.1 laptop.  Note: I am on the older GTAE Expert version 2.7 Build 1092

I refuse to upgrade due to known issues with 3x.  Namely, I take a lot of Notes and in the newer version 3x, if I move the Notes windows around, it crashes my session.  This has been duplicated by Citrix support, but has not been repaired yet so I will not chance an upgrade until I know this has been repaired.

For testing, I connected to two Unattended Win 10 machines on my network, one Win 10 Home (version 1607 build 14393.693) and the other a Win 10 Pro (version 1607 build 14393.693).  Note: both happen to be 32-bit machines.  Both are older machines upgraded from Win 7-32 bit.

Rebooted to Safe Mode on both.  No issue with the Win 10 Home machine - I could log in to Safe Mode from GTAE Expert.  However, I never saw the login screen for the Win 10 Pro in GTAE Expert.  The Win 10 Pro machine was indeed at the login screen.  I logged in manually at the Win 10 Pro machine and could see the Safe Mode desktop.  I had an internet connection and could get out to Google.com. 

The only thing I saw on my GTAE Expert side was:
Rebooting...
Rebooting customer's computer.  You will be automatically connected."

I ended the Win 10 Pro session on GTAE Expert and my unattended list showed the computer Offline after clicking on Refresh.  I restarted the Win 10 Pro computer into normal mode and I could see it online again in GTAE Expert.

I attempted a second Safe Mode connection test on each machine.  Again, no issue with the Win 10 Home machine and exact same issue again with Win 10 Pro.  About 1 min. during restart into Safe Mode on Win 10 Pro, I clicked Refresh in my GTAE Expert Unattended List and the Win 10 Pro machine went offline.  At the Win 10 Pro machine itself, I logged in manually and was in Safe Mode.  I was able to get out to the internet.  Same view in GTAE Expert as above:

Rebooting...
Rebooting customer's computer.  You will be automatically connected."

This time I did NOT end the Win 10 Pro session from GTAE Expert.  I simply restarted the Win 10 Pro computer manually and when it restarted in normal mode, I was reconnected automatically with GTAE Expert and could log back in.

I rarely use the boot to Safe Mode unless there is a serious issue such as a virus or other.  I realize that my testing may not be statistically meaningful, but just trying to help out and I do need this to work reliably.

Citrix, this is yet another bug.  Please thoroughly test it and fix it!

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks, Kaz.
The upgrade from an older operating system is new information to me, and could be highly relevant.  We'll run some additional tests in house to confirm this theory.  In the meantime, would you be able to reinstall the Unattended Support software on one of these PCs that was upgraded to Win10 from older OS, and follow this process?  :: 
1.  Download and save the GoToAssist opener / installer for the client
2.  Right-click this download and select 'Run as administrator'
3.  Reboot, then test the remote expert function for Safe Boot

Kaz111
Active Contributor

Ash, this resolved my issue on the Windows 10 Pro machine.  I had no reason to attempt this on the Win 10 Home as it was working fine.  What I did:
  1. Uninstalled GTAE Customer
  2. Restarted Win 10 Pro machine
  3. Re-installed GTAE customer unattended through fastsupport.com/unattended
  4. It downloaded the 3.1 build 1251 (I'll bring this up in another post or call Tech support)
  5. On the Expert side since I run 2.7 build 1092, I clicked on reset connection, then refresh for this client and waited for the machine to downgrade to my version
  6. I remotely connected in normal mode and executed reboot in Safe mode - no issue
  7. Repeated this 3 times with success
  8. I did find in Safe Mode my experience to be sluggish compared to operating in normal mode, but it did work
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks for closing the loop, Kaz!

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

GoToAssist Remote Support v3.2 build 1343 is now available as an Infrequent Update in your accounts if you would like to try it. I've tested it with a few Unattended PCs and Mac and have been able to end sessions without the Technician app crashing, but would appreciate if any of you with larger lists could test also.
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Fred Marshall
Contributor

Well, it's happened again.  This time working with a customer's computer on a Sunday.  Asked it to boot into Safe Mode and lost it.  The customer had to come in to log back in.

So then I decided this was worth testing with better controls:

I started a Remote Support session on one of my nearby computers.  This is 4.4 Build 1599.

Then I had it boot into Safe Mode.

Well, it did that but two things were wrong:

- the Remote Support app wasn't running .. nothing in the System Tray

- the network wasn't connected (which is something that I've NEVER seen happen),  It's as if it were booted into Safe Mode without Networking - which isn't a problem I've seen before on any reboot.

So then I manually booted it back into normal mode.

- again, the Remote Support app wasn't running .. nothing in the System Tray

- so, I Restarted the GoToAssist service and the icon appeared.

After this, all is fine again.  But it WOULD NOT have been possible without manual intervention.

This is *very* disturbing......