cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZackS
New Contributor

Automatically getting/downloading all incidents from Service Desk

I am writing this discussion because our company's current practice for obtaining incident data/information is manually downloading a report configured as such, with an end being a BI visualization. Doing so is time consuming and manual, so we've been tasked with automating this process somehow.

I have tried since to do a GET using Postman and my API Token as the Basic Auth. password to obtain all incidents, but when using mine or someone else's API token, only the incidents that user is associated with will be retrieved by the API. This is not ideal, because what I want are all incidents that exist on our view in SD, not just for one user.

Is there a different URL Path I need to use to include all users' incidents (other than https://deskapi.gotoassist.com/v1/incidents.format) , or is there an API token that allows me to query more than just an individual user? If this API is not adequate to doing this, is there a different method that anyone can recommend that will accomplish the same thing?

5 REPLIES 5
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Automatically getting/downloading all incidents from Service Desk

Hi @ZackS, welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a solution for you. I have shared this with our GoTo Resolve team so that it will be considered for GoTo Resolve's ticketing system.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
CNat
Active Contributor

Hi @ZackS ,

Did you manage to get this working? The API is next to useless for us, as we need to get lists of all issues not just for an individual user.

Thanks,

Conor

ZackS
New Contributor

Hey Conor,

As of now, we're still using a customized report we made on the website, then manually downloading the .csv of that report. This has been the only solution to capturing all of the data that we need for reporting/visualization.

As far as I know, the API only works for active incidents and has a more limited scope of what you can get, but if the data you're trying to pull is listed in the documentation then you should be able to configure the query to what you've mentioned. If you're like me and also wanted all the tickets that have been resolved/closed, there wasn't anything I found in the API to accommodate that.

CNat
Active Contributor

Hi Zack,

Thanks for getting back to me. Similar to your solution, I've worked around the issue by creating a custom report of all issues ever created. I now have an API call to that report, which returns me all issues no matter what the status.

In case you're interested, API call to get first record on page one:

https://deskapi.gotoassist.com/v1/incidents.json?report_id=3075843160&limit=1&page=1

I'll be outputting that data to a DB using C# and will use SQL for reporting on it.

Thanks,

Conor

ZackS
New Contributor

Conor,

Thank you for showing me an API call to obtain a custom report, that was very useful. A lot of the fields did return, but unfortunately some fields we like to capture, such as the timestamp of an initial response to an incident were not captured by the API. 

It's possible that for some of the fields I can post-process some of the data through some logic in a DB view for assigning groups, but initial response is a key field we track.