cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALCH
New Contributor

For my application the Old Go To desktop is superior except for the limitation in number of webcams

In my experience the new version of desktop seems less stable and less usable, especially in the use of shared documents and annotations, compared to the old version. What is needed is increasing the number of webcams for the presenter in the old version. It is less important for attendees to have access to all the shared webcams of other attendees. The emojis and hand gestures in the new desktop application are nice. However they do not present much real value.

I sincerely hope the old version of desktop will not be retired before the new version is improved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: For my application the Old Go To desktop is superior except for the limitation in number of web

Hi @ALCH thanks for the additional context. As mentioned, you can access 50 cameras in the new GoTo app, there will be no updates for the classic version at this time. You can also access drawing tools (paintbrush and eraser) when sharing a screen as a presenter in the new app.

I don't have a timeline for when the classic version will no longer be available, but it will be announced ahead of time. If you have any other feedback, let me know, I'd be happy to pass it on to the team. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: For my application the Old Go To desktop is superior except for the limitation in number of web

Hi @ALCH thanks for your feedback here. I'd like to pass it on to the team, could you please let me know a bit more about your experience with the app being less stable? You specifically mentioned it's less stable when sharing documents, could you explain a bit more about this experience? 

At this time, there will be no updates to the classic version, so there will not be additional webcams added, but 50 cameras are available for those using GTM on the new app. 

You may also want to check out some of the training options available here, to learn more about GoTo Meeting in the new app. 

ALCH
New Contributor

Hi KateG thank you for your reply. I have been using the Desktop version 10.19.0 Build 19950 for three years now. I assume this version is what we call the old version. This has been a simple to use and a very reliable application so far, with adequate drawing tools array for annotating documents, except for a serious limitation that it can only display 25 attendees webcams in any given session. I believe your competitors claim to be able display well over 25 webcams while at the same time providing document sharing and annotation facility. I  accessed this old desktop application by selecting the green "switch to desktop" button on the left  over the right hand side Browser button option, before starting my sessions.

I contacted your technical support to see if it was possible to display the 50 attendee webcams without losing the document annotation and drawing tools facility that I enjoyed in the old desktop.

To his credit he took up this challenge. We tried for a good hour, and would always end up clicking the Pop Out Beta version of Desktop displayed on the bottom right hand side of your Browser version. This would switch to old version of desktop (10.19.0 Build 19950), which I assume would not support the 50 Webcams. At some point, after some software upload I believe, we managed to land on, what I believe is your new (Beta Version) Desktop. However we both were disappointed to find the Drawing Tools for this application had no pencil and eraser options. We tried the other tools in the Drawing panel and found these to be totally unsatisfactory.

I am not sure why your software Engineers are not able to increase the number of attendee webcams for the presenter at least, in the old desktop. For my application the attendees can have a very limited number of webcam access. The minimum requirement is they must at all times see and be able to engage with the presenter. Any bandwidth issues would be limited to the presenter, who can easily address this by increasing modem performance.

I have been kind of concerned that you guys might retire the old Desktop Version leaving some of us high and dry. If so, please let me know in advance so that I may have time to address this issue.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @ALCH thanks for the additional context. As mentioned, you can access 50 cameras in the new GoTo app, there will be no updates for the classic version at this time. You can also access drawing tools (paintbrush and eraser) when sharing a screen as a presenter in the new app.

I don't have a timeline for when the classic version will no longer be available, but it will be announced ahead of time. If you have any other feedback, let me know, I'd be happy to pass it on to the team.