cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susan15
New Contributor

GoTo Meeting: Screen Sharing in Remote Desktop mode

I am a GoTo-Meeting user who uses a personal laptop to log into my desktop computer (Windows 7) via RemoteDesktop when I work from home.  I can call in by telephone and see what other people share when I am not the host.  The problem is that when I host a meeting, I don't have the rights to share my screen, so I cannot share my presentation with collaborators.  [Because of data confidentiality rules, I am not allowed to transfer work data to my home computer.]  If someone else is the host, they can give me the tools to share my screen, but sometimes I'm the only one from my company on the call.  Is there any way for me to host a call and share my screen (or a specific file; it needn't be the desktop) when I'm working from home?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: GoTo Meeting: Screen Sharing in Remote Desktop mode

Thank you. As the work desktop is virtualized GoToMeeting is not going to be able to share it's screen. My suggestion would be to host the meeting on your Laptop, share it's desktop and then have your connection to your work desktop open displaying the documents. The attendees will see whatever is on your Laptop's screen, so they will be able to see the work desktop you are viewing.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @susan15 

Just so I understand your setup correctly, are you connecting to your desktop computer and then launching GoToMeeting on it, or hosting the GoToMeeting on your personal laptop while you are connected to the desktop computer? Some remote access tools like RDP show you a virtual desktop of the computer you are connecting to, this method does not work with screen sharing in a GoToMeeting.

susan15
New Contributor

I am connecting to my work desktop computer and launching GoTo-Meeting there (on the virtualized work desktop), dialing in from my home phone for the sound. I suppose I could start GoTo-Meeting from my home laptop, but the problem is that then I wouldn’t have access to any of the documents I’d want to share. I am contractually forbidden from transferring work data to a private PC.

Is there any workaround? Surely after all the lockdowns I cannot be the first one with this problem.
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Thank you. As the work desktop is virtualized GoToMeeting is not going to be able to share it's screen. My suggestion would be to host the meeting on your Laptop, share it's desktop and then have your connection to your work desktop open displaying the documents. The attendees will see whatever is on your Laptop's screen, so they will be able to see the work desktop you are viewing.

susan15
New Contributor

Thank you for the workaround.  It is not ideal because of the small screen size and resolution incompatibility between my laptop and desktop, but I suppose it is the best that can be done under the circumstances.